Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BF baby Bm's??

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

So lactation counselor just called and was freaked out because my baby only poops like every four days so she is having me bring him down to weigh him but I research it and read that was ok. Now I am scared he is not getting enough. Uhhhh!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM
With each of my four babies, by the time they were 3 weeks they were pooping every 3 to 7 days. Lots of pee diapers still.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee386
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM

thats what my son does but this woman really is freaking me out

vances_mom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM
What kind of "LC" is she? If she's a CLC or IBCLC, she should know that infrequent bowel movements are within the realm of normal. Is it only the bm's that she's worried about? How old is your LO? Does he make 6+ wet diapers in 24 hours?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luka_89
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:46 PM

im sure everything is fine :) my little huy was ebf till 10mo! and up until starting solids he would poo every 3-4days but on the days he did poo it was like 3 times lol now with solids he poos every other day

Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM

dont get freaked out. this woman must not know what she is talking about. some BF babies dont go poo for more than a WEEK and are perfectly fine..after the first month of his life my youngest only pooped every 2-3days. i think the longest he went was 5days and was fine. was not consitpated and was getting enough. 6-8wet or dirty diapers per day (24/hr time frame) means baby is getting enough..

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM
OP, how old is your baby? How many wet dipes a day?

Quoting vances_mom:

What kind of "LC" is she? If she's a CLC or IBCLC, she should know that infrequent bowel movements are within the realm of normal. Is it only the bm's that she's worried about? How old is your LO? Does he make 6+ wet diapers in 24 hours?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luka_89
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:52 PM

i also wanted to note that the reason breastfed babies dont poo much is because theres hardly any waste in bm their body absorbs soooo much of all the nutrents, hence why they poo more when starting solids ;)

Krysta622
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:39 PM

After about 4-6 weeks of age, an EBF baby can safely go up to about 3 weeks between bowel movements as long as when they DO go, it's not dry, hard, or pellet like.  I'd also like to know what kind of LC this is.

MamaDee386
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM

He is four weeks old and he is wetting plenty of diapers. I took my lil man to her and she weighted him. he has gained 20ozs so he is just fine. She said she was sorry for scaring me but she had seen babies that the moms were under feeding them and just wanted to make sure he was ok.

vances_mom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM
If he was "under fed" he wouldn't have adequate diapers and he certainly wouldn't have gained 1 1/4 pounds in less than a month.

Quoting MamaDee386:

He is four weeks old and he is wetting plenty of diapers. I took my lil man to her and she weighted him. he has gained 20ozs so he is just fine. She said she was sorry for scaring me but she had seen babies that the moms were under feeding them and just wanted to make sure he was ok.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)