Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding while pregnant?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:14 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am 6 weeks pregnant and breastfeeding my 7 month old. Any advice? And how many calories am I supposed to take in? Can breastfeeding cause premature labor or a miscarriage because it makes your uterus contract? Thanks so much.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

pregnancy

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:23 PM

unless you are high risk there is no need to worry about premature labor or m/c..i BF my son while i was pregnant. i got pregnant when he was 9-10months old and he self weaned by 12months. but i BF him the whole time. u might have an issue with supply, u might not. i did  have a drop in supply and drank ovaltine chocolate malt drinks and took marshmallow root to help keep my supply up..i am 23wks right now actually..
here's some good info on stuff u can take while BF-

Pregnancy

Sometimes a mom finds herself needing to maintain a supply in order to nurse through a pregnancy. In some cases mom finds that the supply and demand system works out nicely and they have no problems nursing right through pregnancy. In other cases mom finds she needs a little help. There are mild galactagogues that are safe to take in pregnancy. These herbs can also be used in combination of two or three.

Nettle up to 2 capsules 3 times a day
Dill up to 2 ml tincture 3 times a day
Marshmallow up to 4 capsules 3 times a day

DO NOT take fenugreek, fennel, or blessed thistle while pregnant. (this means no mothers milk tea because it has both fenugreek and fennel)
http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/increasing-milk-supply.html

this you can take while pregnant-
http://www.motherlove.com/product/320-More-Milk-Two-Alcohol-Free.html

HI! im a 21yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS and one on the way. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

gypsyjewels
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Or you can also eat lactation cookies! :) 

Yum.

Crowning Lotus Doula Services

Labor Support For A Better Birthing Experience

www.crowninglotus.com

Nursing Clips - Buddy Blankets - Nursing Bracelets - Milkie Cookies (cookies to promote healthy lactation)

www.willowmoonspirit.etsy.com 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Raise calories by about 500 over your norm, eat loads of protein and lots of water.  As long as you are not high risk pregnancy then yu can nurse all you want.  I had a bit of crampiness in the first few weeks but breastfeeding doesn't cause miscarriage, it has been known to cause contractions midway through a high risk pregnancy or for a mom prone to preterm labor.

BTW I BF my son who was a bit over 2 all the way through my pregnancy and we did fine!

LKRA
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I hate to hijack this post, but can anyone explain to me what "high risk" means? I hear it all the time, but I don't know what it means.

Also, has anyone ever nursed a newborn and a toddler when the toddler still wakes up to nurse? lol I was thinking about that last night while brushing my teeth. How on earth would I handle that? We just got my daughter into her big girl bed. I'd hate to regress and have TWO babies in our bed. ;)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM

High risk means high blood pressure, pre term labor, early dialation, multiple late term miscarriages things like that...you'd see a high risk doctor.

My son cut back on his nursing and night nursings stopped once I got preggers..he did that as supply took a hit.  Even when milk came back it was only 1 time a week and now 1-2 times a month that he nursed...depens on the nursing toddlers age.  Mine was 27 months when I got preggers hes 41 months now.

angelove8
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM

With my daughter I started dilating at 29 weeks and was 3 cen by the time I was 36 weeks. Does this make me high risk? I gave birth at 37 weeks.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Raise calories by about 500 over your norm, eat loads of protein and lots of water.  As long as you are not high risk pregnancy then yu can nurse all you want.  I had a bit of crampiness in the first few weeks but breastfeeding doesn't cause miscarriage, it has been known to cause contractions midway through a high risk pregnancy or for a mom prone to preterm labor.

BTW I BF my son who was a bit over 2 all the way through my pregnancy and we did fine!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

pregnancy

Gailll
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM

High risk would mean a history of miscarriage, premature birth, or small for gestational age. Remember miscarriage is very common and if a breastfeeding mother has a miscarriage it doesn't mean breastfeeding caused the miscarriage. 

What you ate for the last 3 mo is important for the developing fetus. That's what supports the early weeks of development. Your 7 mo is going to start needing more iron around 9 mo and if he isn't eating iron rich foods that may be a concern. You may want to have his blood checked. Iron is very important because it carries oxygen in the blood to the brain and is important for brain growth and development.

You have iron needs for yourself (pregnancies so close), your baby, and your fetus so iron is going to be an important dietary issue. If you eat iron rich foods like meat with foods high in vitamin C it can help with iron absorbtion. Iron supplement constipates.

How many calories you need depends on your activity level and other factors. What you eat is more important than the calories. You want to eat nutrient dense foods, foods that pack a lot of nutrients for the number of calories they have.

If you continue to nurse throughout your pregnancy you don't need to worry about your newborn not getting colostrum. The delivery of the placenta sends a message to the brain to make colostrum that's just right for the new baby. You may want to nurse just the new baby until the mature milk comes in to make sure the baby gets as much colostrum as possible.

Congrats! I breastfed through a pregnancy and went on to nurse both boys with no problems.

Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM

high risk is like u have a history of m/c, u had preterm labor, u have pre-e, etc. things that make the pregnancy hig risk.
googles web definition of high risk pregnancy-
A pregnancy, where because of a specific health history of the mother or child, the risk of birth defects or complications is increased

Quoting LKRA:

I hate to hijack this post, but can anyone explain to me what "high risk" means? I hear it all the time, but I don't know what it means.

Also, has anyone ever nursed a newborn and a toddler when the toddler still wakes up to nurse? lol I was thinking about that last night while brushing my teeth. How on earth would I handle that? We just got my daughter into her big girl bed. I'd hate to regress and have TWO babies in our bed. ;)

HI! im a 21yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS and one on the way. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

angelove8
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Holy crud thats expensive!!!

More Milk Two Alcohol Free

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)