• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holy Wow!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM
  • 3 Replies
I think I just figured out why my lil man nurses for 5 minutes on one side and then refuses the other side. He goes 3 hours between feedings so I was never worried as I figured he was getting plenty from that one side. Out of curiosity I just pumped the other side (we do alternate each breast for feedings) and got 1 1/2 ounces in under 5 minutes. So I'm going to say that he is getting PLENTY in the 5 or so minutes he nurses :) I think I'm going to continue pumping the unused side each time in the hopes that we will have a decent amount of emergency/extra milk in no time. All of my babies have fed like this and I was wondering if this is over-active letdown? Or maybe I'm just a good mama moo cow? LOL He doesn't choke at feedings or excessively spit up so does that mean it's not OAL? And believe me I am NOT complaining about quick short feedings (more time to sleep in between) just curious as to if this is normal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mama02040608
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM

No you might just have an abundant supply.  If he's not choking and sputtering and not having the other issues with OAL that babies have, I would guess you don't have OAL.  Of course, he could also have adapted to it and has no issues. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM

YOu may just have a high supply, but yu may also have a forceful letdown and it works for hi..he gets alot very fast..normal it happens!  GOod for you!

If you find you don't need the stored milk then start donating, there are moms that would give ANYTHING for this extra milk.  Store in bags and lay flat to freeze it takes up less room.

Gruntlings
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:33 PM

"What is normal"... Long long answer to that one. :) Every mom has a different "normal", and every baby has a different "normal". Together they make the "normal" for that nursing diad, and what is "normal" can change from day to day and session to session. If baby is healthy, thriving, not in pain, meeting milestones and making enough wet diapers... It's "normal".  There are other things on top of that which are nice.. Like if baby is happy, if baby sleeps well, etc. but those things may or may not be "normal" for a particular nursing diad.

You can have overactive letdown and your baby can be able to keep up with it. Or you might just have hyperactive supply, or a really good response to a pump. It's only a problem if baby complains, chokes or is not able to keep up with the supply, isn't gaining weight, is excessively gassy, is making green frothy poop, is gaining weihgt too quickly, or has some other "problem".

My older son nursed constantly. This one nurses about 5-6 times per day for shorter periods of time. Different kids, different supplies, different "normal".

Go for it. Save up an emergency supply. :) Just be careful about dipping into it, since emergency supplies can sometimes be used for convenience which can equal supply death. The more you have pumped, the more temptation it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)