Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

giving blood while BFing?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:41 PM
  • 5 Replies
Now that I'm no longer pregnant, I would like to get back to donating blood occasionally. Is it okay to do so while we're EBFing, or should I wait?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jessie82087
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I don't know if it's "alright" or not, but I personally would wait. Giving blood is very draining on your body, and you need to keep up your strength and energy for BFing.

LKRA
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I gave blood a few weeks ago, and have an appointment to do it again 11/05/10. My daughter is almost two, though; I don't know if that makes a difference.

SaraZoey
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:05 PM
I was wondering this to. The place I usually give blood to said it was ok if my supply was well established (which it is), but looking online I saw that a lot of people have had problems with it, so I think I'll wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mss119
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I guess I'm going to play it safe and wait.  She's 3 months old, and my supply is well established, but I'd feel so guilty if it affected my supply for her.  I'll wait until I'm done donating my fluids to her (lol), or at least until she starts solids down the road.  Thanks, ladies!

lyndallsmom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I never found a difinitive answer, yes it is ok or no it is not. It seems the biggest concern is dehydration. That being said, I just donated my first pint of blood ever earlier this year. I drank water before I left home, brought water with me and ate and drank at the blood drive where I gave. I did not feel any ill effects afterwards, nor did Mia. She was about 18 months old at the time.

Kim

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)