Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mirena While Nursing

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have my follow up appt with the doc for birth control in a few weeks and they offer mirena. He said it could have a drop in milk supply. So all you mommas nursing and using/used mirena how did it go for you?

Should i go with that or go to a diff place and get Implannon? I really want a permanent birth control.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM

both have the same hormones, same as depo. they are all progesterone only but they have a higher dose of hormones than the mini pill which is a progesterone only BC...if you want a more permanent BC you can look into the paragaurd IUD or theres even this new essure thing..also the implant is for upto 3yrs and mirena is for upto 5yrs..
here's some info on mirena and bf and the implant and bf-
http://women.emedtv.com/mirena/mirena-and-breastfeeding.html

Progestin-only contraceptives are the preferred choice for breastfeeding mothers when something hormonal is desired or necessary.

Progestin-only contraceptives come in several different forms:

• the progestin-only pill (POP) also called the "mini-pill" (Micronor, Errin, Nor-QD, Ovrette, Microval, etc)
  • the birth control injection (Depo Provera)
  • the progesterone-releasing IUD (Mirena, Progestasert)
  • the birth control implant (Norplant, Implanon).

Milk supply: For most mothers, progestin-only forms of contraception do not cause problems with milk supply if started after the 6th-8th week postpartum and if given at normal doses. However, there are many reports (most anecdotal but nevertheless worth paying attention to) that some women do experience supply problems with these pills, so if you choose this method you still need to proceed with some caution.

If you're interested in one of the longer lasting progestin-only forms of birth control (the Depo-Provera shot lasts at least 12 weeks, but effects may be seen up to a year; the Mirena/Progestasert IUD and the Norplant implant can last up to 5 years), it may be a good idea to do a trial of progestin-only pills (mini-pill) for a month or more before deciding on the longer-term form of birth control. If you find that you are among the women whose supply drops significantly due to progestin-only birth control, you can simply discontinue the pills - rather than struggling with low milk supply for several months until the shot wears off or you get the implant or IUD removed.

Do note that the Mirena/Progestasert IUD delivers its hormone directly to the lining of the uterus, which only leads to a slight increase in progesterone levels in the blood stream (much lower than that found with the progesterone-only pill). As a result, there is much less chance of side effects from the progesterone than from the Depo-Provera shot or mini-pill.

Milk composition: At higher doses than normal this type of pill can affect the content of breastmilk. At these higher doses it has been shown to decrease the protein/nitrogen and lactose content of the milk. At regular doses, this does not seem to be as likely.

Safety: Progestin (progesterone) is approved by the AAP for use in breastfeeding mothers. See below for additional information on side effects related to lactation.
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html#mini

HI! im a 21yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS and one on the way. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

Nwinters87
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:07 PM
THank you!  That was really help ful!

Quoting Bren07:

both have the same hormones, same as depo. they are all progesterone only but they have a higher dose of hormones than the mini pill which is a progesterone only BC...if you want a more permanent BC you can look into the paragaurd IUD or theres even this new essure thing..also the implant is for upto 3yrs and mirena is for upto 5yrs..
here's some info on mirena and bf and the implant and bf-
http://women.emedtv.com/mirena/mirena-and-breastfeeding.html

Progestin-only contraceptives are the preferred choice for breastfeeding mothers when something hormonal is desired or necessary.

Progestin-only contraceptives come in several different forms:

• the progestin-only pill (POP) also called the "mini-pill" (Micronor, Errin, Nor-QD, Ovrette, Microval, etc)
  • the birth control injection (Depo Provera)
  • the progesterone-releasing IUD (Mirena, Progestasert)
  • the birth control implant (Norplant, Implanon).

Milk supply: For most mothers, progestin-only forms of contraception do not cause problems with milk supply if started after the 6th-8th week postpartum and if given at normal doses. However, there are many reports (most anecdotal but nevertheless worth paying attention to) that some women do experience supply problems with these pills, so if you choose this method you still need to proceed with some caution.

If you're interested in one of the longer lasting progestin-only forms of birth control (the Depo-Provera shot lasts at least 12 weeks, but effects may be seen up to a year; the Mirena/Progestasert IUD and the Norplant implant can last up to 5 years), it may be a good idea to do a trial of progestin-only pills (mini-pill) for a month or more before deciding on the longer-term form of birth control. If you find that you are among the women whose supply drops significantly due to progestin-only birth control, you can simply discontinue the pills - rather than struggling with low milk supply for several months until the shot wears off or you get the implant or IUD removed.

Do note that the Mirena/Progestasert IUD delivers its hormone directly to the lining of the uterus, which only leads to a slight increase in progesterone levels in the blood stream (much lower than that found with the progesterone-only pill). As a result, there is much less chance of side effects from the progesterone than from the Depo-Provera shot or mini-pill.

Milk composition: At higher doses than normal this type of pill can affect the content of breastmilk. At these higher doses it has been shown to decrease the protein/nitrogen and lactose content of the milk. At regular doses, this does not seem to be as likely.

Safety: Progestin (progesterone) is approved by the AAP for use in breastfeeding mothers. See below for additional information on side effects related to lactation.
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html#mini

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Klynn-whitlow
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM

My dr recommended the Mirena to me as well, she said that there isn't much hormone in it at all... at least not enough to really effect nursing. I haven't had any issues since i had mine put in over 6 months ago.

luvplay
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM
I haven't had a problem with my milk supply while having mirena. I did have bleeding issues but I think that's getting resolved! I like it for the most part, just periods are wacko with nursing and the IUD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.J.
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I got the Mirena when our nursling was 2 months old. My supply may have been established already, but I think that happened when he was 3 months old.

I didn't notice a drop at all. His diapey count stayed excellent and his weight was always in the 80-something percentile.
He's now 13 months old, I still have the Mirena and my supply is as good as ever :)

My midwife told me about the drop in milk supply too. She said it shouldn't happen because not enough of the hormones get into your blood stream, but I was still scared.
I would have rather picked the Paraguard for that reason, but the Mirena was already ordered.

Good luck with whichever you decide!

prdill08
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I had the Mirena after my last daughter was born 6 1/2 yrs ago and nursed her until she was 14 months old.  She never had a drop of formula and gained weight fine.  I don't believe my milk supply changed at all. 

iliketosparkle
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM
I didn't have supple issues with Mirena for the 3 weeks I had it. It wasn't working with my body and my body expelled it (more common with Mirena than Paragard). I had it replaced with Paragard and like no hormones better, as I don't tolerate them well.

And Micronor (progesterin only pill) has more hormone (0.35mcg) than Mirena (0.20mcg).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christina807
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM
I got it a week after the six week appointment and had no issues. We're still going fine at 13 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM

OK mirena and Implanon are the same hormones, I personally avoid hormones..how about a Paragard IUD, it lasts 10 years instead of 3 or 5 and has no hormones.  WAY less side effects and greatf or nursing moms.

VTMommaX3
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM
My mirena is great! No supply issues
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)