Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much for formula?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:16 PM
  • 38 Replies

I'm trying to talk my good friend into at least trying bf. I am having a hard time convincing her it isn't "wierd" and is easier. My last resort is telling her how expensive formula is per month. I really have no clue how much it is because I only gave my dd some occasionally after she was like 9 months old. I know they have some major bills and are already broke most of the time, but they make good enough money not to get wic i think.  They just have lived outside their means and went in dept. So how much does it cost to ff a baby? Low end and high end? Any thing else I could say? Thanks!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

you could tell her about the similac recall that just happened. they found beetles and insect legs in the powder. with breast milk she won't have to worry about that.

bec94
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Well I know that the 12oz of enfamil is around 12-15, and the nutramigin (for colic milk allergies) 12oz is 20-25. I used to give a 4-6 bottle a day and the formula would last a month. I can't imagine the cost if I would have only ff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vances_mom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:24 PM
It all depends on the brand. Target brand will be about $60-80/month (depending on how much baby eats, taxes, etc), a name brand like Enfamil will be about $100-140/month. Then you have to figure bottles, nipples (need to be replaced every few months) and oxy-clean (IME, the formula stains bad!). I can't imagine paying that much a month when what I have is free :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MegaMutant
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Show her this link about the different chemicals in formula. If that doesn't change her mind, nothing will. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20100923/lf_ac/6152012_ten_things_you_may_not_know_about_baby_formula

sarahbearamommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Used to be about $120 when I FF my first child. Like 9-10 cans a month if I remember correctly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trish2tew
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

8-9 containers(what DD#1 would use) a month of at $12 minimum(I think it was closer to $13-14 per container) a month is at least $96 a month. And that is for the cheap similac that was recalled.

vances_mom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM
Oh, and that doesn't consider the fact that some of those hypoallergenic formulas can cost >$50 a container, then they eat about 5-6 containers a month!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

breast milk stains horribly too, though! lol

Quoting vances_mom:

It all depends on the brand. Target brand will be about $60-80/month (depending on how much baby eats, taxes, etc), a name brand like Enfamil will be about $100-140/month. Then you have to figure bottles, nipples (need to be replaced every few months) and oxy-clean (IME, the formula stains bad!). I can't imagine paying that much a month when what I have is free :)

chcon
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:31 PM

The cans of  Enfamil I used for my first three are now about $25 each.  When they're young it lasts about a month, but as they get older you'll need more (technically even if you don't use it up you aren't supposed to keep it past a month and you can buy smaller cans obviously).  My biggest baby would go through that can in just over a week when he was just a few months old  (he started at 10 lb 5 oz)... he was an expensive baby...  I did BF with each and got a little longer with each one... so this is taking for a one month old or older. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Something like $25/week here on average. But can I suggest something gently?

Pushing your friend here could cost you the friendship. Just tell her that if she changes her mind you can help. She could always change her mind, but if you're not careful you could push her into closing it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)