Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WOW! Baby Girl is eating well! and a beverage question...

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM
  • 14 Replies

So, we had our one month pedi appt today and she was 8lbs 8.6 oz and 21.25 inches when born.  In just four weeks she has grown to 11lbs 4 oz and 23"!  I worry about her eating enough, but obviously it isn't a problem! 

So, on to my question....

How do you feel about drinking caffeine and alcohol while BFing?  I have not had so much as a drop of either since I found out I was pregnant Christmas day 2009.  I am scared that the caffeine will make her aggitated and the alcohol, well that one is obvious.  I am just wondering how many of you drink caffeine or alcohol and if you have noticed any changes in your babies? 

WHat is your beverage of choice? I drink a crap load of water (like 90oz+ everyday).  I will occasionally drink a glass of juice and sometimes milk or almond milk.  But I stick to water most of the time.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Alcohol is ok.  I wouldn't drink a lot of it, but one glass of whatever isn't going to hurt anything.

Caffeine on the other hand is the ONE thing that my son couldn't tolerate.  It doesn't pass to the baby as caffeine, so it isn't like it's going to give you a wired infant, but a lot of infants, especially newborns through age 5-6 months are sensitive to caffeine.

You don't need to restrict your diet in any way though, unless you notice that your LO is particularly sensitive to certain things.

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM

You can have BOTH. In moderation as always. Bye bye, pregnancy restrictions!

IloveNix
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:13 PM

You can have a little of both!

All 3 of my children reacted badly to caffeine, but as a tummy ache, not wired!

I didn't drink any alcohol until 6 months and then just a beer or two, but I have seen no effect on babies!

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I have all, in moderation of course.

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (8y)         Rocco (5y)         Joey (2y) 

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who still loves her tattoos, piercings and hair dye

Elijahsmommy508
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I drank caffeine every once in a great while while bf'ing and alcohol I drank maybe 3 times total and it wasn't until he was 9 months old and older when I knew I wouldn't be nursing him for 6 or more hours (at night).

kimwilson16
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I do not drink alchol, I have caffeine every day. I am currenly nursing number 4 and none of them have had a reaction to it.

catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM

You can have both. If baby shows a sensitivity, then you know what to limit. 

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM
I drink a couple cups of coffee every day. My baby (who is now 13 months) has never shown any adverse reactions, and neither did the 3 babies that preceded her. I typically don't drink alcohol before the babes are 6 months and nursing less often, and even when I'm getting all wild and crazy I never have more than 2 drinks. Ive nursed as soon as an hour later, again, with no visible effects. I wouldn't ever nurse a baby if I still felt buzzed, but once it wears off in your blood it is even more diluted in your milk.
trish2tew
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I drink up to 2 cups of coffee a morning several times a week, but don't drink much soda. I'll have a stray beer or strong drink once in a while, usually after she goes to bed for the night. Genevieve doesn't nap much during the day, but that is even on days I don't drink coffee. I tend to drink milk and water mostly, but I'll have 3 or 4 glasses of juice a week with breakfast.

Christina807
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I mostly drink water but occasionally I'll have iced tea and once in a blue moon I'll have a soda.  I've never noticed a difference in my daughter.  As far as alcohol I didn't drink until she was around 3 or 4 months old and she was having a long stretch of sleeping at night.  By long I mean 3 or 4 hours.  So I would have a drink, maybe two after nursing her to sleep.  Now I will have one drink just whenever, no matter when she has last nursed.  But I won't have more than one unless she's nursed recently or is asleep.  And I never have more than two.  I'm such a light weight these days that more than two and I'm starting to feel it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)