Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastmilk to Solids ratio?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:34 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hey mamas! I am a first time mom, daughter just turned 8 months old. She has been strictly breastfed and I am planning on keeping it that way until she is 1. My question to yall is what should the ratio be at this stage? I keep hearing how most of her nutrition should be from breastmilk but I'm not sure when to start feeding her solids 3x a day. Right now I'm breastfeeding usually 4 times a day, sometimes 5, I feed her 2 ounces of cereal mixed with breastmilk for lunch, and a 4 ounce jar of veggies followed by however much fruit she wants to eat for dinner. Her nursing sessions are so short now though, she will rarely nurse 10 minutes. And when I pump, I barely get out 2 ounces, it takes forever, where as I used to be able to pump 3 or 4 ounces with no problem. She's still gaining weight, having regular bowel movements, all that, I'm just curious as to what other moms are doing.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kyriesmommy13
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:40 PM

we practiced baby-led weaning - dd skipped baby foods altogether, and i let her determine what, and how much she wanted to eat. she started on table foods around 10 months. she still nursed several times a day, and often throughout the night, though. solids are always to come after nursings, until baby is a year old. as long as you get in a nursing session first, baby can determine the amount of solids she wants.

k.stark
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I'd nurse her first.... then give her solids.... the ammount of solids doesn't matter if she nurses completely first... and if she's still gaining weight and meeting all of her milestones she's perfect. :)

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM
yep....same here. if you practice childled weaning.....and also wait to add solid until they can do table foods and you breastfeed first in the first year you wont have to worry about the breastmilk to solids ratio....it will be whatever ur child is ready for. Also about the short nursing sessions....its probably because shes more efficient at getting out the milk...would not be worried unless you notice a major decrease in wet dipes.

Quoting kyriesmommy13:

we practiced baby-led weaning - dd skipped baby foods altogether, and i let her determine what, and how much she wanted to eat. she started on table foods around 10 months. she still nursed several times a day, and often throughout the night, though. solids are always to come after nursings, until baby is a year old. as long as you get in a nursing session first, baby can determine the amount of solids she wants.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM

NO more than 25% of diet by 12 months for solids...

WOW at her age pumping 2 oz is AWESOME, she gets more than that btw.  Nursing in a matter of minutes is a sign that she is getting more efficient and stronger at nursing.

At 8 months your LO needs to nurse more than 4-5 times...5 should be the minimum.

Do you nurse before every single offering of solids?  If not DO THAT NOW.

Nurse then solids.  Nurse on wake up, a few hours later, nurse before lunch, nurse a few hours later, nurse before dinner, nurse before bed..that would give you six.

Christina807
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:36 PM
At 8 months we were really lax about the solids. She got solids at breakfast or dinner and if things were busy, then sometimes not at all. Around 9-9.5 months she usually got solids at lunch and dinner, though if things were really busy, I didn't sweat it if she went the whole day without solids. We didn't add breakfast until two weeks before her first birthday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avetay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM

My LO just turned 8 months old today. We let him tell us when he wants solids. If we are eatig lunch or dinner and he is instrested uwe put him in his highchair and give him either babyfood or puffs but we dont force him to eat anything. He gets fruit for breakfast then the rest of the day its all about what he wants. My LO still nurses about every 3 hours and I always nurse before giving him solids. There are days where he wants more solids than milk and other days he just wants milk and no solids. Just watch your little one. When my baby keeps putting things in his mouth or watching us eat and everytime i have a fork in my hand he opens his mouth then we give him solids. Good luck

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Nurse first, solids after. You can give solids as many times a day as you want but you MUST nurse FIRST. Solids are an afterthought. Yes, baby will eat less solids if you nurse first. That's FINE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)