• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you stop pumping...In Pain!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

So Lo is a year old and is nursing in the am before I leave for work if she asks for it and then before bed and at nap time on weekends. I'm trying to stop pumping at work but I cannot seem to stop bc I get to such an uncomfortable state around 3:00 that I end up pumping bc I can't stand it and don't want to get an infection. Any suggestions?

Me (25), DH (31), Kynleigh (9/15/09)
"There is no friendship, no love, like that of the parent for the child."

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
maybebaby83
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM

not sure .. im not there yet!!

BUMP!

tashangel31
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM

thye told me with my last that is you need to pump to relieve some pressure its ok...but to pump ONLY enought to relieve the pressure!!!!

Hisservent
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:00 PM

pump just enough to relieve the pressure (30 seconds or so) or go in the bathroom and press your hand on your breast with nipple between fingers and release some milk to relieve the pressure. That's what I did when my son self weaned. It only took 3 days to dry up enough to be comfortable to not do anything with them at all.

I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, as Green as I can get, SAHM of 2.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Cut back slowly on pumping..start by spacing out pumpings then when you get down to 2 pumpings day start cutting time of the pumpings..if they were 20 min long do them 15 min kong then 10 then 5 then 2...it worked for me

IloveNix
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Taper!

This is how I did it with DS1:

Only pump to relieve pressure, not to empty breast, just for a few minutes. You will slowly start to need the pump later and less, until you stop needing it. You have to get your supply down!

You may have some fuller days, I do. I am currently nursing DS2 & DS3, they are 14 months old. They get water, a tiny bit of milk and diluted pear juice during the day. They nurse before and after work and at night. I do not pump at work (worked from home until 12 months)!  Now on the weekends they nurse on demand, so Monday is always an uncomfortable day, but not so much that I need to pump!

It takes time, but you will eventually be pump free!

shelibeli
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:03 PM

May be push it a little later each day, or every few days, like maybe by 15 minutes each time, until you have weaned yourself from that pumping.  Then maybe adjust what you do at home, maybe an earlier nursing session, or pump when you get home, and start weaning that back also.  You can also pump for just a little bit to take the edge off of each side rather than a full pump.

I pumped at work for 2 years...much longer than I wanted, also...but it got to be less and less.  Once my daughter stopped the middle of the night feeding, I was needing the middle of the day pump less and less.  I just had my second and am going to be doing it all over again, lol!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)