Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drinking while Nursing

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am wondering what you do when you drink alcohol? I have heard pump and dump twice (which seems easy enough). I have also heard that you'll need a full 24 hour advanced supply to feed your baby and pump and dump for 24 hours striaght! which seems hard to do. 

I am not a big drinker, but I would like an occasional glass to help with anxiety.

I'm a God fearing Catholic, volunteer for Protective Animal League, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, vaccinating, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, young wife and SAHM to Evalynn 5yr, Ashley 4yr, and Trey 1month and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 3 dogs !

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Laurelflower
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I've heard that alcohol is processed out of breastmilk the same as blood so it would be one drink an hour.  I have yet to have more than one drink in between feedings but if I'm going to I plan on using the test strips they sell to check.

Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM

safe to drive safe to nurse is what i always hear and is passed around the group..personally i did not and will not drink while BF. IMO i think if you can give it up for pregnancy then u can give it up while BF (i even turned 21 while BF and still didnt drink and had a great bday)..but no there is no need to not nurse or pump n dump..if u are not feeling the affects of the alcohol then u can nurse safely..

Krysta622
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

You'll be happy to know that you don't have to do either of those things.  Have a drink, or two.  You can nurse if you're not sloshed.  I generally say one to two drinks, no wait.  Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink.  Only pump if needed to relieve engorgement or keep up supply. 

butterflyhigh1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:41 PM
I have had the occasional beer or glass of wine and have witnessed no effects or difference in dd at all.

I went out by myself for the first time a couple of nights ago. I drank three vodka & cranberries and nursed dd about 2 hours afterward. Again, I observed no effect on her at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:51 PM

One or two drinks is fine. If you are okay to hold baby, you are okay to nurse! 

aeroslove
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I drink all the time Lol.. i dont get all drunk either. But i drink Wine and Beer and if i go out i do drink Mixed drinks.

jltplk25
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I've had a glass of wine while nursing my first born. It made him chillax. Lol. I only did it for a short while due to colic. Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I was a first time mom and had no family to help me. :)

LavenderMom23
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Thanks for the helpful advice. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Have your occasional glass and don't even THINK about it. Safe to drive safe to nurse. No need to do ANYTHING.

Hsalmons
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I have a friend who is a doctor and I asked him the same question. He said that one or two drinks is not going to affect your breast milk or the baby! So I would have a glass of wine or a beer every once in a while! Enjoy that wine girl...you deserve it!!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)