Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

red nipples/shooting pains

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

its not because of latching issues i have been breastfeeding 6 weeks now and in the beginning i had cracked red bleeding etc nipples but now i have the hang of things in in the last almost 2 weeks i have been getting red nipples they are not sore they don't hurt...(not even while feeding) they kinda have a stinging feeling if anything...i have been putting cream on them and notthing...im not sure why they are red..i only pump maybe up to 3 times a day so im not sure if its because of that??? any suggestions advice?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kimwilson16
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Sounds like thrush. Does your baby have white spots in his or her mouth?

makeupgeek
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM

i just checked and yes he does and it didn't come off when i wiped it....i didn't even think about that...how do you get that and what do i do to get rid of it?

Quoting kimwilson16:

Gailll
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I'm sorry you are having difficulties. Cream including lansinoh is not recommended in most cases and can actually cause problems. You might try not using the cream and keeping your flaps down and nipples dry (not trapped in a wet bra). Don't use a hair dryer, that can cause drying and damage. 

Pumps can cause sore nipples and during the first 6 weeks or so it's good if you can get your supply established with no pumping (supply and demand). You want to avoid artificial nipples because they can cause the baby to use and abnormal sucking movement when on your breast. Perhaps your red nipples are from the sucking of the breast pump.

I realize it's been 6 weeks but since you have had sore nipples the first couple of weeks, you have been pumping, and now have red nipples you may want to going a few weeks "all natural".

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website.

Gailll
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Oh no, thrush. I was hoping it wasn't that. You need to clean or boil everything that has come into contact with the baby's mouth or your breasts. You and the baby may need medication. Here is more info

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html

kimwilson16
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Quoting makeupgeek:

i just checked and yes he does and it didn't come off when i wiped it....i didn't even think about that...how do you get that and what do i do to get rid of it?

Quoting kimwilson16:

Make an appointment with your doctor and they will give you a prescritption. Also eat lots of yougurt. It is the same as getting a yeast infection.It usually clears up quickly. Good luck. I have had it a couple of times, I am currently nursing #4. Good luck Mama.

makeupgeek
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM

i normally do go all natural but i work part time and thats why i have to pump

Char07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:08 PM
Lots of women in here have used gentian violet with good results, probiotics, lower your sugar intake, there are other meds you can use but I don't know most by name although I would avoid nystatin (I've only seen it make yeast worse) use a vinegar rinse on clothing like bras shirts, boil pacis, bottles, pump pieces. Check kellymom.com for more info, lots of moms get the infant probiotics and put it on their nipples and then feed baby, if I ever have it I will use gentian violet and probiotics to treat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
makeupgeek
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:34 PM

where can you buy gentian violet from?

Quoting Char07:

Lots of women in here have used gentian violet with good results, probiotics, lower your sugar intake, there are other meds you can use but I don't know most by name although I would avoid nystatin (I've only seen it make yeast worse) use a vinegar rinse on clothing like bras shirts, boil pacis, bottles, pump pieces. Check kellymom.com for more info, lots of moms get the infant probiotics and put it on their nipples and then feed baby, if I ever have it I will use gentian violet and probiotics to treat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)