Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is he not ready?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM
  • 14 Replies
DS turned 6 months on Sept 8th & have been introducing solids (or at least trying) since then. He didn't seem ready at 1st, but slowly gotten better. I'd try again to introduce solids each week and he finally seemed like he was ready. Part of the reason I think that he's having a hard time is BC he's tongue tied, which will be taken care of in a couple of weeks, but that besides the point.

Within the past week, he's been eating solids once a day. He'll only not gag on yogurt, so I've been hiding sweet potato & avocados in in. Day 5 he got cranky & didn't poop in three days. I stopped solids since two days ago & he finally pooped a little, but still seems constipated. Is he just not ready or is it normal for him to have to adjust like this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM
He might not be ready, I suggest u start with avocado first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shauna1227
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM
We did, he gagged on it, to the point of him almost throwing up. The only thing he is able to get down & seems to really love is yogurt. So, I did mix a little bit of yogurt in the avocados to get him to eat it.

I think the gagging might be do to him being tongue. He doesn't seem to be able to get any thicker food towards the back of his throat (which we have an apt for).

But my question is more about his belly issues & if its normal & par for the course when starting solids?

Quoting piwife:

He might not be ready, I suggest u start with avocado first.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Well how and whena re you offering solids?  Are you nursing then immediately offering solids?  Or are you giving solids between feedings, or before nursings or instead of nursings?

Nursing should always come first and only a few spoonfulls is a serving so if baby has been getting more than that it may be why he is having issues going.  Up BM intake and baby should be fine.

I think maybe you should wait til he has his tongue fixed then go back to trying the solids...generally they say to wait for yogurt til closer 9 months I thought.

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

He may not be ready. Mine had better luck when I made the food a soupy consistency with breast milk. I wouldn't force it, or worry. It's still not nutritionally needed for him anyways.

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (8y)         Rocco (5y)         Joey (2y) 

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who still loves her tattoos, piercings and hair dye

lifetimelove
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:07 AM

If he's having a lot of gagging issues because he can't get the food worked around well with his tongue because of the tongue tie, then I would hold off until it gets taken care of.  Too much of that and you're going to be dealing with food aversion issues.  And believe me, you do NOT want to deal with that if you can avoid it.

I'd also hold off on the yogurt for a few more months.  While you can typically start yogurt earlier than most dairy because of the way it's processed, I don't think most 6 month old's guts are quite ready to handle it.  It is generally advised to wait until 9 months to start yogurt, and that's by every nutrition chart I've seen (and I see a lot of them because I have a daughter with feeding issues).

Breastmilk is perfect for him without anything else.  I didn't introduce solids with my son until 7/8 months and just went to self-feeding, and he's a very healthy 3 year old who is as tall as a 5 year old and is quite ahead of the game cognitively.  obviously he didn't hurt for anything by waiting.

qofthew
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:35 AM

My son gagged when I first tried solids, and he doesn't have a tounge tie.  He did that until he was 11 months old, when he was finally ready for solid foods. I do notice he gets a bit backed up when he eats a lot of food.It's table food, too, he won't touch baby food with a 10 foot pole! So I just slow down the table food and nurse just a little more, and things seem to start moving along again. My first had the same problem with constipation at first, too. I think maybe they are adjusting a little.

Pandana
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Quoting lifetimelove:

If he's having a lot of gagging issues because he can't get the food worked around well with his tongue because of the tongue tie, then I would hold off until it gets taken care of.  Too much of that and you're going to be dealing with food aversion issues.  And believe me, you do NOT want to deal with that if you can avoid it.

I'd also hold off on the yogurt for a few more months.  While you can typically start yogurt earlier than most dairy because of the way it's processed, I don't think most 6 month old's guts are quite ready to handle it.  It is generally advised to wait until 9 months to start yogurt, and that's by every nutrition chart I've seen (and I see a lot of them because I have a daughter with feeding issues).

Breastmilk is perfect for him without anything else.  I didn't introduce solids with my son until 7/8 months and just went to self-feeding, and he's a very healthy 3 year old who is as tall as a 5 year old and is quite ahead of the game cognitively.  obviously he didn't hurt for anything by waiting.

I agree. I would wait on the yogurt. His tummy might not be ready for that yet.

And I agree about just waiting until his tongue-tie is resolved, since you're probably right about it contributing to gagging. He doesn't NEED solids right now, so I wouldn't make him struggle with it while he has an anatomical issue, I'd just let him hold off until he can learn to do it without the difficulty.

For what it's worth, mine hated avocado LOL. Which seemed odd, because I knew so many people who started with avocados. Mine would eat ANYTHING......except avocados LOL.

amileegirl
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM

A baby who has digestive maturity doesnt need to be "fed". The feed themselves whole foods and won't eat too much as their tongue and gag reflex will prevent it.  spoons and purees bypass safety mechanisms.   A baby shouldn't get constipated from food, if they do they shouldn't eat it or shouldn't eat so much.

read http://www.babyledweaning.com/ (really baby led solids -- especially the gil rapely article.

We did, he gagged on it, to the point of him almost throwing up. The only thing he is able to get down & seems to really love is yogurt. So, I did mix a little bit of yogurt in the avocados to get him to eat it.

Ummm...ewww?   Avocado and yogurt?  Does that even taste good??   You shouldn't have to hide food to get him to eat!    My advice?  Toss the spoon!  

But my question is more about his belly issues & if its normal & par for the course when starting solids?

Gagging is a failsafe meant to keep solids out of the mouth.  It fades with time. A baby in control of the food learns their limits quickly.      It is normal for a baby in control to spit out a lot and ingest little in the beginning.   The reason being they cannot digest solids well under a year old; and also if they don't hav a pincer grip or grasping ability, they simply are incapable of eating more than they can handle.  The reason why baby food appears digested is that it goes in mushed so comes out mushed.  Let a baby suck on a whole apple and you can see how little is broken down.

Dairy along with grains is one of the worst foods to start  with.  And unless that yogurt is truly plain and natural, it might have more sugar than you think.  I'd read the label.

FYI, a baby who doesn't like plain avocado may enjoy guacamole (particularly the garlic component).  Or a baby who refuses mush may devour avocado spears.

clovismommy25
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Babies don't need anything but breastmilk (or formula, if given) for the first 12mos of life.

k.stark
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Getting constipated is pretty normal... I started my son with rice cereal and breastmilk mixed quite soupy...  like others said tho i'd probably wait until after you get the tounge tied thing fixed... but depending on the kind of yogurt you're feeding your LO I know stony... something has a yogurt ok for babies 6 months and older also so does gerber... good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)