Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A pediatrician that is really an idiot.

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

Today I took Pao for her 1 month old check up. Our ped was on vacation so she left a substitute while she is out only for this week. Well I just explain to the substitute that my baby was born with a really mild case of reflux and I need something for her since I have seen is getting worse as she grows. My baby had been like this since day one, in fact I was told abut her reflux issue the day she was born when the ped and nurses tried the first feedings in the hospital. Well the STUPID ped that saw us today said that sometimes with this kids breast milk is worse than formula and that my breast milk can get her worse...WTF? That ain't true my DD ped told us that breast milk is the best because is more light than formula, and with formula we might have to be switching till we find the right one for her. My baby is gaining GOOD weight with my milk from 5lbs 10 oz in a month she is now 8 lbs and 8 oz. I told her we ain't switching to formula because even with formula she will also have the reflux issue so I see no point on that and she prescribe zantac for the reflux. I was upset and after a while she start on telling us that she is jealous of the breastfeeding mommas because she couldn't do it with her baby. Hubby looked at me and laugh. On our way out we thought the same thing that she is just letting her frustration take over her job.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Christina807
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Hmm.  It's too bad she's letting her jealousy possibly ruin perfectly good BFing relationships.  Good thing you are more informed.   

star33
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM

agreed.idiot.how unprofessional.

Krysta622
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:51 PM

What if another mother didn't disagree with her, and took what she said as fact!  Good thing you know your stuff.  I feel horrible that she might get someone who didn't know to switch to formula just for reflux.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM
That is a frightening thought. My first pediatrician always had some snide comment about breastfeeding and I always told my dh I thought she had a chip on her shoulder because she couldn't bf because she had to go back to work too soon or something. I was sort of kidding but this story makes me wonder. Back when i had my first baby, I might have considered what she was saying!!!

Quoting Krysta622:

What if another mother didn't disagree with her, and took what she said as fact!  Good thing you know your stuff.  I feel horrible that she might get someone who didn't know to switch to formula just for reflux.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MotherofIreland
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:25 AM

That is just weird.  I mean, it's one thing to be jealous, it's another to be angry about it.  Although I don't know if I'd say I'm "jealous" of those who had no problems BF...I think I admire them more than anything.  Although I am seriously jealous of those mommas who can fit into their pre-pregger jeans as soon as they leave the hospital!  =)

Mrs-Atkinson
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:28 AM

DS had reflux that didn't start until day 4 when my milk came in. For this reason I believed that formula would be better for him when breastfeeding failed after he had a couple of bottles. I was young, though, and I had absolutely no idea how to really deal with reflux. BFing is most definitely better for reflux. We had to switch his formula multiple times.

kyriesmommy13
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Quoting mostlymaydays:

That is a frightening thought. My first pediatrician always had some snide comment about breastfeeding and I always told my dh I thought she had a chip on her shoulder because she couldn't bf because she had to go back to work too soon or something. I was sort of kidding but this story makes me wonder. Back when i had my first baby, I might have considered what she was saying!!!

Quoting Krysta622:

it's a shame that personal bias affects the actions of SO many healthcare professionals. good for you for standing up for your, and your baby's, rights! and shame on that woman!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)