• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ummm A few Questions?????

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

Just wondering I've been bf'ing for 2 1/2 weeks now and my dd has a smell in her mouth just wanted to know can breast milk go bad? I'm talking directly from the breast becasue I don't pump. I swear she smells like sour milk I thought it was just me but my husband smelled it to. Could it be because she falls asleep while eating so maybe some of it stays in her mouth? Any advice would be helpful. She has thrown up a few times the past few days and I'm just wondering if it could be related to that. You can tell it's digusted milk and she doesn't gag either it kinda just flows out of her mouth doesn't seem to bother her either. Oh and should I continue to BF her when she throws up I don't want to over feed her. One more question she has a bm just about every feeding sometimes 2 is it suppose to be orange and pretty much wattery? Thanks in advance moms for the help

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aaavasquez
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM

bump

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:28 PM
My babies' breath always smelled almost like a sweaty body odor. My armpits tingle when I feel the letdown so I used to wonder if somehow my sweat glands were overlapping milk ducts or something but after reading here and on kellymom.com, I think I have excessive lipase enzyme. None of my 4 kids seemed bothered by it so it doesn't matter. The first 3 weeks, my babies pooped at nearly every feeding, any color ranging from fluorescent yellow to buttery orange to weird artificial greens. Sometimes it was seedy, sometimes it looked like a colored stain in the diaper. If it was diarrhea, holy cow, you would know because it is foamy and has a smell that makes you sick to your own stomach. Your baby sounds fine! And then to really shift things up, after 3 weeks, my babies, each and every one of the four, started pooping every 3 to 7 days. And with every one I still freaked out, but its very normal. By the time your milk is regulating and the baby's digestion and demand are normalizing, the baby has less waste because they are completely processing the breastmilk with no waste to poop out. ~~ regarding the spit up, if she wants to nurse more, keep at it. 2 of my babies were spitter-uppers and they seemed to still register that they had eaten and didn't really have much interest in nursing more. I think I am a lousy burper and the air bubble would bring some milk up. It looks like way more than it really is, especially when you realize what they are spitting up now also contains saliva and some stomach acids, so its not like they spit up the whole feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:35 PM
i do not believe ur milk can go bad straight from ur breast....never heard of that before....so doubt thats the case. Maybe the bad smell is from her spitting up? my sons mouth smells as well...but it smells good to me. if she does spit up and asks to nurse again....go for it :) sometimes babies spit up because they had an air bubble....or burp stuck, so make sure to burp her often. Spitting up is normal though so dont be concerned just keep nursing when she asks to nurse....even after she spits up thats ok.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aaavasquez
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My babies' breath always smelled almost like a sweaty body odor. My armpits tingle when I feel the letdown so I used to wonder if somehow my sweat glands were overlapping milk ducts or something but after reading here and on kellymom.com, I think I have excessive lipase enzyme. None of my 4 kids seemed bothered by it so it doesn't matter. The first 3 weeks, my babies pooped at nearly every feeding, any color ranging from fluorescent yellow to buttery orange to weird artificial greens. Sometimes it was seedy, sometimes it looked like a colored stain in the diaper. If it was diarrhea, holy cow, you would know because it is foamy and has a smell that makes you sick to your own stomach. Your baby sounds fine! And then to really shift things up, after 3 weeks, my babies, each and every one of the four, started pooping every 3 to 7 days. And with every one I still freaked out, but its very normal. By the time your milk is regulating and the baby's digestion and demand are normalizing, the baby has less waste because they are completely processing the breastmilk with no waste to poop out. ~~ regarding the spit up, if she wants to nurse more, keep at it. 2 of my babies were spitter-uppers and they seemed to still register that they had eaten and didn't really have much interest in nursing more. I think I am a lousy burper and the air bubble would bring some milk up. It looks like way more than it really is, especially when you realize what they are spitting up now also contains saliva and some stomach acids, so its not like they spit up the whole feeding.

thanks glad to know someone else went through this I bf'd 3 of my other children but have a bad memory so cant remember if I went through this w/them

aaavasquez
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Quoting Precious333:

i do not believe ur milk can go bad straight from ur breast....never heard of that before....so doubt thats the case. Maybe the bad smell is from her spitting up? my sons mouth smells as well...but it smells good to me. if she does spit up and asks to nurse again....go for it :) sometimes babies spit up because they had an air bubble....or burp stuck, so make sure to burp her often. Spitting up is normal though so dont be concerned just keep nursing when she asks to nurse....even after she spits up thats ok.

Yea I noticed she spits up more if I dont pick her up right after feeding her to burp her she burps really fast I just got to do it right after sher eats most of the time anyways

lifetimelove
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM

It's regurgitated breastmilk.  It's possible that you have some overactive letdown going on and she's spitting it back up.  It's also possible that she has reflux.  My daughter has reflux and she always had bad breath after nursing. 

Keep feeding her on demand.  Try to have her be upright as possible while you nurse.  Try to keep her upright for 30 minutes after nursing.  This will help for both overactive letdown and reflux. 

aaavasquez
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Quoting lifetimelove:

It's regurgitated breastmilk.  It's possible that you have some overactive letdown going on and she's spitting it back up.  It's also possible that she has reflux.  My daughter has reflux and she always had bad breath after nursing. 

Keep feeding her on demand.  Try to have her be upright as possible while you nurse.  Try to keep her upright for 30 minutes after nursing.  This will help for both overactive letdown and reflux. 

Will do thanks

k.stark
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:40 AM

if she's falling asleep while nursing and there's milk sitting in her mouth she can get bottle rot... try to wake her up so that doesn't happen... my niece had bottle rot and it does horrible things for their self esteem.. maybe try wiping her mouth out with a damp washcloth... Also spitting up is very normal.. babies little flap thing from their stomach to theoir esophogus isn't fully developed so they spit up... after I feed my DD I keep her upright for a while and it helps with the spit up.. and just remember some babies spit up more than others... my son spit up way more than DD...  and her poop is totally normal... we call it mustard orange lol!! the thing with a breastfed baby to watch is their pee.... it's totally normal for a breastfed baby to not have a BM for a few days at a time... but that won't happen for a while...

aaavasquez
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 7:38 AM

Quoting k.stark:

if she's falling asleep while nursing and there's milk sitting in her mouth she can get bottle rot... try to wake her up so that doesn't happen... my niece had bottle rot and it does horrible things for their self esteem.. maybe try wiping her mouth out with a damp washcloth... Also spitting up is very normal.. babies little flap thing from their stomach to theoir esophogus isn't fully developed so they spit up... after I feed my DD I keep her upright for a while and it helps with the spit up.. and just remember some babies spit up more than others... my son spit up way more than DD...  and her poop is totally normal... we call it mustard orange lol!! the thing with a breastfed baby to watch is their pee.... it's totally normal for a breastfed baby to not have a BM for a few days at a time... but that won't happen for a while...

Thanks but if you don't mind me asking what is bottle rot? Oh and right on the mustard orange it's exactly like that

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Bottle rot is not the same with bottles and nursing...bottle rot happens if a sugary substance like juice or formula is given to a baby when laying down particularly and the bottle allows pooling in the mouth.  WHen nursing the milk is in the back of the throat, not so with a bottle.  This is why bottle rot is called BOTTLE rot, it rare rarely ever happens with BF babies.  BM is actually known to protect teeth not cause rot.  This is per studies done by the ADA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)