Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

getting milk supply up after miscarriage

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM
  • 7 Replies

i had a miscarriage last week and was EBF my 6  month old until i had gotten pregnant because i just wasnt making enough milk while pregnant..well we lost the baby last week and i am trying to get my milk supply back up..i just started taking more milk plus so hopefully it will help...but now my son has a bottle preference so that is really the hard part...i am going to try and not give him a bottle at all today and see how it goes...and another question i have is how often should he be nursing if he is eating 3 jars of baby food a day (breakfast, lunch & dinner)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lifetimelove
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I'm sorry about the miscarriage.

As far as getting supply back up, the best way would be to cut back on the solids, 3 jars is actually quite a bit for a 6 month old.  I would expect him to need to nurse AT LEAST 5-6 times a day, but he'll most likely need to nurse quite a bit more to get your production back up.  Your hormones are probably going to be a bit all over the place, I would suspect it might take a week or so.

The best way would be to do a nurse-in, and it would probably be good for you to spend a day or two in bed anyways.  Obviously a six month old will want to be active and play as well, so do the best you can.  Lots of skin-to-skin.  If you have a wrap or sling and aren't in too much pain, wear him as much as possible.  Anytime he fusses, nurse.  Count diapers.  I would NOT give any supplements as long as diaper count is good.  If you do feel like he needs a little bit extra, try giving it in a sippy cup instead.

How far along were you?  The earlier you were, the less your supply should be impacted and the less time it should take.

rileysmommy229
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM

about 8-9 weeks...we never did get a really good date....i was wondering if i was giving him to many jars..maybe i will just do one at night and one in the morning...i am feeling pretty good right now, i had to spend two days in the hospital last week due to blood loss so i got a lot of rest there...but i will try and put him to the breast as much as i can, he just fusses so much when he is at the breast unless he is tired, then thats all he wants to do is nurse.

Quoting lifetimelove:

I'm sorry about the miscarriage.

As far as getting supply back up, the best way would be to cut back on the solids, 3 jars is actually quite a bit for a 6 month old.  I would expect him to need to nurse AT LEAST 5-6 times a day, but he'll most likely need to nurse quite a bit more to get your production back up.  Your hormones are probably going to be a bit all over the place, I would suspect it might take a week or so.

The best way would be to do a nurse-in, and it would probably be good for you to spend a day or two in bed anyways.  Obviously a six month old will want to be active and play as well, so do the best you can.  Lots of skin-to-skin.  If you have a wrap or sling and aren't in too much pain, wear him as much as possible.  Anytime he fusses, nurse.  Count diapers.  I would NOT give any supplements as long as diaper count is good.  If you do feel like he needs a little bit extra, try giving it in a sippy cup instead.

How far along were you?  The earlier you were, the less your supply should be impacted and the less time it should take.

mjp2707
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 9:15 AM
So sorry! Just nurse constantly. Pp gave you good advice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Make sure to nurse before ANY solids, you may find your hormones are off for a while so it may be hard to get back your milk.  I personally would order some Domperidone to get a fast raise.

Try to do no more bottles, if that means getting an SNS or using a syringe do it!

rileysmommy229
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Make sure to nurse before ANY solids, you may find your hormones are off for a while so it may be hard to get back your milk.  I personally would order some Domperidone to get a fast raise.

Try to do no more bottles, if that means getting an SNS or using a syringe do it!

i dont know anythingabout a supplemental nursing system...or using a syringe? how does this work?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:42 PM

A supplemental nursing system has a tube taped to your breast so baby gets all supplements at the breast so your breasts get the needed stimulation to increase your supply.  It can also help with flow preference because baby can get the immediate gratification of the bottle, but still be at the breast.  You can make one with a medicine syringe and medical tubing.  The syringe would be used to give a bit of milk so baby is not STARVING and may be more cooperative with latching and nursing.

amy31308
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 7:03 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN