Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing while dehydrated.

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 2:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

Is it ok to continue nursing your baby if you're dehydrated? The reason I ask is because yesterday I had what I think was the flu, I only drank one bottle of sprite, and didn't drink any water yesterday. My baby was nursing tons, but I didn't hear her gulping as much, and my leaking has stopped. Today I'm feeling better, still a little sick though, and am trying hard to drink water, but it just makes me feel worse. What do I do?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmilyD88
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 2:35 PM

drink water. you should be hydrating more if you have the stomach flu regardless of nursing.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM

It's not harmful... but baby will have trouble getting anything. You need to up your intake. Ginger ale is a good tummy settler.

nicole4ray
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

It's not harmful... but baby will have trouble getting anything. You need to up your intake. Ginger ale is a good tummy settler.

I've been drinking ginger ale also. Luckily my baby is 16 months old, so she's drinking water too, so she doesn't have to worry about dehyration, just me :(

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Do your best to stay hydrated. Remember that "water" can be from other sources like broths, popsicles, soups, etc. Hope you feel better soon! 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

lucki_flip05
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 6:31 AM
You also need the electrolytes, get urself some gatoraide or poweraide, stay hydrated for ur own well being.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLauren
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 8:56 AM
If you're not getting enough fluids, does it affect your supply? I'm trying to get mine back up, and I know I haven't been drinking enough. I don't know why, I just can't seem to make myself drink.

Feel better, OP!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 8, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Fluids are the raw material. Making milk without them is like making bricks without straw.

matreshka
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 10:15 AM

when im really sick (as i was the other day) plain water upsets my stomach, try vegetable broth, diluted juice, ginger ale.

matreshka
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 10:15 AM

oh and chamomile tea!

nicole4ray
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling much better today, still a little upset stomach, but much better from what it was. I've been eating and drinking again, and this morning I heard my dd swallowing when she was nursing. So it looks like my supply is coming back. I'm still having a tough time with the water, but I'm drinking it. I think today I'll go buy some powerade or gatorade. I would have already, but I haven't left the house since Sunday because of being sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)