Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 month old not gaining weight..help! (update)

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:23 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'll try to make this as short as possible..

I took my son in for his nine month check up today and was told he is failure to thrive.  He is 14lbs 11oz and 26 1/2 inches long.  His head is 17.  He was 6lbs 14oz at birth.  He is ebf.  I have been trying for several months to get him to eat solids and he refuses.  His weight has been an issue for a while now.  His old pediatrician (we moved two months ago) went over his weight issues with me and send me to a nutritionist.  I was told to nurse more, pump after every feeding to increase my milk supply, and to give solids.  I have been doing this for months now.  My son still refuses to eat anything other than bm.  I've tried food in the jar and table food.  I almost have to force him to even put food in his mouth.  He takes a few tiny bites at best.  

I took him to his new pediatrician today and she said he is failure to thrive.  She said he fell off his growth curve for his height and weight.  She said his head circum. is fine right now, but is concerned that it will stop growing.  They drew blood and are taking a urine sample from him to run tests.  She wants me to nurse and then give him a sippy cup of formula after each nursing session.  

I want my baby to grow and be healthy, but I hate the fact that she wants me to give formula.  I do see that my son is a lot smaller than other babies his age and I am worried.  I just don't know if formula is the answer.  She also told me to hold off on nursing and give him solids when he is really hungry.  She said it would be a battle and to not give in and nurse him.  She wants him to eat solids first, nurse, and then take a bottle of formula.  I'm so confused and upset..  Does anyone have advice?  I'm lost right now and seriously considering asking for a new pediatrician tomorrow.  (We are military so I can't switch offices..I have to just see a different doctor)

Update

I took my son back to the doctor today for a second opinion since I wasn't happy with the first doctor.  The new doctor noticed almost immediately that he is tongue tied.  I had no idea!  So he will be seeing an ent soon to clip it and see if it helps.  She is pretty confident that that is the reason that he is having a hard time eating solids.  She also said that there is no need to give him formula.  Thank goodness..I finally found a decent doctor who supports my breastfeeding!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:31 AM
sorry mama....that must be hard :( im glad shes running tests. have you considered seeing an ibclc as well? have you tried fenugreek? mothers milk tea? I would definitely nurse before adding solids or formula. what kind of solids are you giving? mine werent ready for solids at that age but maybe try making your own baby food? If you didnt want to give formula maybe give goats milk or maybe a mom can donate bm to you to give each time after you nurse. also do you nurse at night?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:40 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM

What about his development?  Is he on time (average) for developmental milestones?  True FTT includes failure to meet milestone one time, not just not growing.  It's pretty common for EBF babies to not grow very much during the second half of their first year.  My son didn't gain length or weight, not an inch, not an ounce, from six months to about 13 months.  His doctor never once said anything about FTT.

I have heard, second or third hand, that many times, babies who refuse solds "early" (before a year of age) often turn out to have food allergies as they get older.

Personally, I wouldn't force solids.  With very, very few exceptions, there is no solid food that is anywhere close to momma milk in terms of calories, fat, and protein.  I'd push more nursing and offer pumped milk in a sippy inbetween times.

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Quoting eema.gray:

What about his development?  Is he on time (average) for developmental milestones?  True FTT includes failure to meet milestone one time, not just not growing.  It's pretty common for EBF babies to not grow very much during the second half of their first year.  My son didn't gain length or weight, not an inch, not an ounce, from six months to about 13 months.  His doctor never once said anything about FTT.

I have heard, second or third hand, that many times, babies who refuse solds "early" (before a year of age) often turn out to have food allergies as they get older.

Personally, I wouldn't force solids.  With very, very few exceptions, there is no solid food that is anywhere close to momma milk in terms of calories, fat, and protein.  I'd push more nursing and offer pumped milk in a sippy inbetween times.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Quoting grantsmommy23:

I took my son in for his nine month check up today and was told he is failure to thrive.based on weight alone? how did he grow in height? how are milestones? has he gained even if slowly?  He is 14lbs 11oz 235oz nowand 26 1/2 inches long.  His head is 17.  He was 6lbs 14oz at birth. I dunno what lowest wat but he could've lost 10% so down to 6lbs 3 oz would've been normal so 99oz total He is ebf.  I have been trying for several months to get him to eat solids and he refuses.solids will not help FTT, BM will but solids could hurt gaining  His weight has been an issue for a while now. really?  can we get a list of weights...I am seeing a gain of about 136 oz and if you count that then he gained about 3-4 oz a week, which is the norm...4 oz is from 0-4 months, then 3-5 oz from 4-6 months then 1.75-4 oz is the norm from 6-12 months..so an overall average of 3-4 oz is perfect!! Where is the issue here?? His old pediatrician (we moved two months ago) went over his weight issues with me and send me to a nutritionist. Theres NOTHING a nutritionist can tell an EBFing mom to help weight gain besides nurse more, it was pointless  I was told to nurse more, pump after every feeding to increase my milk supply, and to give solids. again solids don't help they hurt weight gain I have been doing this for months now.  My son still refuses to eat anything other than bm.thats fine  I've tried food in the jar and table food.  I almost have to force him to even put food in his mouth.  He takes a few tiny bites at best.  then he is not ready, it happens...none are needed til after 12 montsh anyways

I took him to his new pediatrician today and she said he is failure to thrive. based on what? She said he fell off his growth curve for his height and weight. on what charts?  FF baby charts?  I know for a fact that the military hospitals do not use WHO or CDC charts they use formula charts.  % are stupid, BF babies usually drop in % no matter the chart She said his head circum. is fine right now, but is concerned that it will stop growing. if it hasn't stooped growing why would it NOW? They drew blood and are taking a urine sample from him to run tests. ok thats fine She wants me to nurse and then give him a sippy cup of formula after each nursing session.  theres NO need, if he is getting enough wet and messy diapers in 24 hours then its not need more thats the issue..formula is only the answer when baby is NOT getting enough and theres no way to get him more BM..you do not just say GIVE FORMULA without finding out what really is the issue(if there is one)

I want my baby to grow and be healthy, but I hate the fact that she wants me to give formula.  I do see that my son is a lot smaller than other babies his age and I am worried.babies come in all sizes, please do not compare  I just don't know if formula is the answer.  She also told me to hold off on nursing and give him solids when he is really hungry. WOAH big red flag there, solids have LESS calories and less nutrition ounce per ounce, this shows that this doctor doesn't have facts straight and I wouldn't trust a doctor who gives bad info as fact She said it would be a battle and to not give in and nurse him. because basically she is saying to starve him and only give him food that will not meet his nutritional needs, his body KNOWS what it needs and its not solids She wants him to eat solids first, nurse, and then take a bottle of formula.wrong wrong info..solids are always LAST til 12 months..always...  I'm so confused and upset..  Does anyone have advice?  I'm lost right now and seriously considering asking for a new pediatrician tomorrow.  (We are military so I can't switch offices..I have to just see a different doctor)go see your local LC, take all the weights you ahev with you, your hospital should have a LC for you to see, if not contact the local LLL and they will find one fr you, Tricare covers it.  Ask to see a different ped that knows asbout BFing, obviously this doctor doesn't.

SUre he could stand to be bigger, but he is not necessarily FTT because of his low weight.  he doubled by 6 months and is over that now...thats normal for a BF baby.

Mom71307
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Tabi is spot on!  Solids are lower in calories and will HURT weight gain!  Breastmilk is the perfect food for him!  My son is 14 months and barely eating solids... and he wasn't eating any at all at 9 months.  My daughter had JUST started solids at 9 months.  How are milestones?  Diapers?  How active is he?  My son didn't gain but 3 ounces between 9 and 12 months... NO problem!  More active at that point.  Anyway... BFing is the BEST thing you can do for him.  Glad though that she is checking blood and urine for other possible causes...

pixiefunk
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM

How big are mom and dad? 

My pedi never used the FTT, and my son fell on ALL of his percentiles AND had a setback milestonewise. And my son is thriving now. (20 mos, I had milk supply issues put on Dom)

Get a new pedi. It is too early for that dx.

And get the mods all weights. Maybe it'll make you feel better.

Krysta622
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Is he LOSING weight?  How are diapers?  I'm not concerned YET.  I had a similar "problem" with DS.  He went like, 10 mos with little to no gain, but NO LOSS.  On time with MOST milestones, though he has delays unrelated to feeding. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Quoting grantsmommy23:

I took my son in for his nine month check up today and was told he is failure to thrive.  He is 14lbs 11oz and 26 1/2 inches long.  His head is 17.  He was 6lbs 14oz at birth.

Thanks for providing the background because THAT is what matters. His weight is a tad low for the age, but not enough to put him in FTT.

He is ebf.  I have been trying for several months to get him to eat solids and he refuses.

Solids interfere with gain. Good for him.

His weight has been an issue for a while now.  His old pediatrician (we moved two months ago) went over his weight issues with me and send me to a nutritionist.  I was told to nurse more, pump after every feeding to increase my milk supply, and to give solids.  I have been doing this for months now.  My son still refuses to eat anything other than bm.  I've tried food in the jar and table food.  I almost have to force him to even put food in his mouth.  He takes a few tiny bites at best.  

That's fine... we've consistently seen LOWER gain with solids than with breastmilk. What has the growth pattern been month to month, and when were solids introduced?

I took him to his new pediatrician today and she said he is failure to thrive.  She said he fell off his growth curve for his height and weight.  She said his head circum. is fine right now, but is concerned that it will stop growing.  They drew blood and are taking a urine sample from him to run tests.  She wants me to nurse and then give him a sippy cup of formula after each nursing session.  

OK. The tests will be important.

I want my baby to grow and be healthy, but I hate the fact that she wants me to give formula.  I do see that my son is a lot smaller than other babies his age and I am worried.  I just don't know if formula is the answer.  She also told me to hold off on nursing and give him solids when he is really hungry.  She said it would be a battle and to not give in and nurse him.  She wants him to eat solids first, nurse, and then take a bottle of formula.  I'm so confused and upset..  Does anyone have advice?

Ignore the ped because she's giving you advice GUARANTEED to make him truly FTT.

I'm lost right now and seriously considering asking for a new pediatrician tomorrow.  (We are military so I can't switch offices..I have to just see a different doctor)

Oh dear Lord. No wonder you're having trouble. DON'T get me started on military medicine! You'd be better off paying out of pocket for a private doctor. They should deal with battlefield wounds and stay the hell away from babies... I'm sorry, I wasn't going to get started... but I've spent nearly my whole career as a journalist in military towns and know who gets the most complaints regarding medical treatment? MILITARY docs. It always gets my dander up to see moms treated this way.

lifetimelove
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM
Military mom here who has been through this, with similar advice from doctors. Let me tell you what a battle it has been to get it through doctors heads that her issues with growth had nothing to do with breastfeeding. She's two and finally has been diagnosed with a rare metabolic disorder, but it was because I was relentless. Nothing obvious came up in the labs they started drawing at seven months.

My first question is the most important. Is your son meeting milestones?

My second question, how are diapers? From birth, has your son always had typical bowel movements for a breastfed baby?

Third question. Watch your son nurse. Does he suck-pause-swallow? Have you been evaluated by an LC to have his latch and suck evaluated? Has his palate and tongue been evaluated for tongue tie or palate issues?

Fourth question. What are you and your dh like, physically? Small staured? Thin?

Failure to thrive is not a simple matter of slow weight gain. It's more complex than that. And it's not something that happens suddenly in one appointment.

Feel free to pm me as someone experienced in dealing with ftt and the military medical system. =)

Quoting grantsmommy23:

I took my son in for his nine month check up today and was told he is failure to thrive.  He is 14lbs 11oz and 26 1/2 inches long.  His head is 17.  He was 6lbs 14oz at birth.  He is ebf.  I have been trying for several months to get him to eat solids and he refuses.  His weight has been an issue for a while now.  His old pediatrician (we moved two months ago) went over his weight issues with me and send me to a nutritionist.  I was told to nurse more, pump after every feeding to increase my milk supply, and to give solids.  I have been doing this for months now.  My son still refuses to eat anything other than bm.  I've tried food in the jar and table food.  I almost have to force him to even put food in his mouth.  He takes a few tiny bites at best.  

I want my baby to grow and be healthy, but I hate the fact that she wants me to give formula.  I do see that my son is a lot smaller than other babies his age and I am worried.  I just don't know if formula is the answer.  She also told me to hold off on nursing and give him solids when he is really hungry.  She said it would be a battle and to not give in and nurse him.  She wants him to eat solids first, nurse, and then take a bottle of formula.  I'm so confused and upset..  Does anyone have advice?  I'm lost right now and seriously considering asking for a new pediatrician tomorrow.  (We are military so I can't switch offices..I have to just see a different doctor)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)