Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

start weaning

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM
  • 15 Replies

Just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant.  My daughter is going to be 1 yo on the 21st, and I was going to talk to the pediatrician about starting to wean her at this point.  However, my OB suggested that I should start weaning her immediately, which I don't have an objection to.

Here is the problem.  DD doesn't take a bottle, won't drink breastmilk from anything but me, and won't drink formula in any type of container.  So, I was thinking about just starting to introduce cow milk a week or so before her birthday.  Is this okay?  Also, what would be a good way to start the weaning process?  She's so use to getting her liquid nutrition from me and lately, probably because I'm pregnant, she's been eating for at least 25-30 minutes a feeding.  I would really love to get this settled soon.  Thanks!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pixiefunk
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM

There is no need to wean, unless you want to. I'm in a similar, not same, boat. My 20 mos old is still bf, and I'm preggo. Based of what has been happening in the last 2 weeks, he is probably going to self wean. 

Your dd will either wean when your milk changes, by herself. Or she will continue to get antibodies and fabulousness from you even when it becomes colostrum. Some babies don't mind.

Good luck to you!

ljgmom2009
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:56 AM
If ur doc is suggesting you to wean because a possible threat to the unborn baby then introducing whole milk is ok before their 1st birthday. My pedi told me to do the same thing with my son but a month before...start slowly...2-3ozs at first to make sure they don't have a reaction to the whole milk. Do that for a week then increase an oz or two the next. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamNStefanMommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I haven't been in your situation but .. i've always started offering small amounts of milk a month or so before the 1st bday so that my kids would get used to it. I thought it helped a little bit in easing the transition.

loverbugsmommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:11 AM
Is there a particular reason why your pedi wants you to wean her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iushosh
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:17 AM
Not my pediatrician, my OB suggested it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loverbugsmommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM
Did he (or she) give you a specific reason as to why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM
There isn't a reason to wean unless you are high risk for preterm labor. If you were going to wean anyway, there is no rush. Wean slowly while introducing milk and see how it goes. There is no good evidence that nursing while pregnant does anything to a normal, healthy pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeanneC
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Do you have a history of pre-term labor or miscarriage?  Those are basically the only reasons you would *need* to wean for pregnancy.

If those aren't issues, but you do still want to wean (it's about 50/50 she'll wean herself when your milk changes anyway)... I'd wait until after her birthday and the holidays and then go slowly.  It's an emotional transition for her.   Start offering whole milk in a cup during the day and choose one feeding (or one block of time) and eliminate it.  Then, wait a week and do it with another feeding/block of time.  Continue this every week until you're done nursing.   Leave the favorite feeding for last. 

SamNStefanMommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM

She said she was planning to wean soon anyway :)

Quoting mama02040608:

There isn't a reason to wean unless you are high risk for preterm labor. If you were going to wean anyway, there is no rush. Wean slowly while introducing milk and see how it goes. There is no good evidence that nursing while pregnant does anything to a normal, healthy pregnancy.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I would continue nursing but start trying to kinda schedule it and offer AFTER solids.  No need to add cows milk til baby is under 3 nursings a day so don't stress yet.  Gradual is the key, cut 1 nursing a week if she is nursing as much as I bet she is you won't be down to under 3 nursings til after the first year.

OFTEN OB/GYN mean well but tell you to wean when its not necessarily needed, please do not wean FAST, it will hurt you and cause an iffection which would threaten the health of your unborn baby more than nursing would.  There is NO proven correlation between nursing and misscarriage int he early weeks of pregnancy.  It can cause preterm labor for moms who have issues with preterm labor or high blood pressure(sometimes).

If you want to wean go for it 1 nursing cut out a week, when under 3 nursings start giving 4 oz of cows milk for each nursing under 3 you are.  12-16 oz is the norm cows milk intake btw.  If you do not want to wean or want to know your options see an IBCLC and find out your options!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)