Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello..new to group :) Needing advice!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hello...my name is Amy and I'm a first time mom to boy/girl twins, Kai and Ardyn...I  had them about three weeks ago, and had massive trouble nursing them in the hospital.  They were small so they had to give them formula...  they got used to the flow of the bottle and my breasts weren't good enough.  Soon I was only pumping to ensure they got something...no time to keep tryng to breast with two screaming kids and no sleep...sadly.  But now, as much as I pump it seems I'm drying up...what should I do?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Welcome, Amy. Firsdt thing you need to know is that it's not too late to get them on the breast if you want. Three weeks? Nothin'. Three YEARS would be a bit of an issue. **grin** Great article on kellymom.com on how to get baby back to the breast. A supplemental nursing system will serve you well here and you'll find information on that.

How often are you pumping? Every two hours is what we usually recommend in this early going. Are you keeping up with your liquids? 64 ounces per day provides the raw material.

What pump? For exclusive pumping don't go cheap... see if you can rent a hospital grade or buy something like a medela freestyle.

Each baby's daily need is 24-30 ounces. Which is a LOT for one mom to pump when you consider that normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces.

On our resources sticky you will find a link titled HOW TO INCREASE SUPPLY. Every trick known to woman is there.

And I'll also sugest you drop by the exclusively pumping moms group. Look for the ones who are approaching or past a year; they're the battle-hardened veterans!

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Welcome!  My name is Amy too.  : )  I agree with everything gdiamante said.  She knows her stuff.  Listen to her.

Quoting gdiamante:

Welcome, Amy. Firsdt thing you need to know is that it's not too late to get them on the breast if you want. Three weeks? Nothin'. Three YEARS would be a bit of an issue. **grin** Great article on kellymom.com on how to get baby back to the breast. A supplemental nursing system will serve you well here and you'll find information on that.

How often are you pumping? Every two hours is what we usually recommend in this early going. Are you keeping up with your liquids? 64 ounces per day provides the raw material.

What pump? For exclusive pumping don't go cheap... see if you can rent a hospital grade or buy something like a medela freestyle.

Each baby's daily need is 24-30 ounces. Which is a LOT for one mom to pump when you consider that normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces.

On our resources sticky you will find a link titled HOW TO INCREASE SUPPLY. Every trick known to woman is there.

And I'll also sugest you drop by the exclusively pumping moms group. Look for the ones who are approaching or past a year; they're the battle-hardened veterans!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Welcome to the group and congrats on your twins!

I agree, it's not too late! My twins were born 6 weeks early and one of them got used to bottles and wouldn't latch. It took him close to 2 months to get him to latch! I went on to exclusively breastfeed them. If you want help to get them latch, I can give you tips! 

But if you still want to exclusively pump, go to kellymom and there are some tips to increase supply. 

maggiemom2000
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM
Good advice here! I know a mom who came home from the hospital bottle feeding her twins (2 months old when they came home). She kept trying and got them breastfeeding at 5 months old.

What kind of pump do you have? You really need to rent a hospital grade pump, even for just one month, if you can.

Skin to skin. Spend as much time as possible with a baby in only a diaper on your bare chest. This will both encourage baby to take the breast and increase your milk supply.

When I get to my computer I'll send you a link to maximizing pumping output from Stanford (unless someone else can post it!!)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 13, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Thank you for joining us, Amy! It is definitely not too late! Pumping and using a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) will help with this process. Taking in enough fluids and taking steps to increase your supply is important, as well. You can do this, and we will be here to support you in every way that we can!

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)