Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 month check up, kinda disappointed in the pedi

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM
  • 16 Replies

I guess I should have suspected that she would be the same as the majority of them out there, but I thought with her being a mom, she might have a little better perspective.  She was so gung-ho about BFing the beginning.  But she busted out the chart today and showed me that DD has dropped from being in the 50th percentile to the 30th.  She weighed 12 lbs 9.5 oz today.  She is up more than 4 pounds from her lowest weight (8 lbs 5 oz...she was 9 lbs. 3.6 oz at birth).  That's more than 4 oz gained a week...I thought that was pretty good!!!  Plus, she's growing freakishly long, FAST...she was 19 3/4 inches at birth and 25 and a half inches today.  Anyway, she started talking about giving her cereal.  I told her I was going to wait til at least 6 months if I did cereal at all.  I'm still on the fence about it.  I told her I wanted to delay solids altogether, maybe til closer to 8 or 9 months and she kind of rolled her eyes at me.  She said if the baby kept dropping percentiles, I might have to give her formula if I don't want to give her solids.  I have no intention of giving her formula at all.  I asked if the chart was for formula babies and she said it was for every baby.  I'm so frustrated.  I REALLY love my pediatrician, but this aggravates me.  I even mentioned something about nursing more because BM is higher in fat and calories.  She said "It is, BUT...blah, blah, blah".  I don't think it's worth switching doctor's over, but it's frustrating.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom71307
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Just smile and nod next time.  What they don't know won't hurt YOUR baby!  My kids did GREAT on BFing alone until well past 6 months.  My son made it nearly a year until he finally gave in to them!

Mrs-Atkinson
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM

If she says it's for "all babies" then she's obviously using the FF charts. I would request the WHO charts. The dr can bitch and moan all they want but it's YOUR child. They can't MAKE you give formula or cereal. Just stand firm on your choices.

pixiefunk
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/chts_wfa_girls_p/en/index.html

Make sure it is THIS chart. 

My son is 50th on the bf chart and 30th on the ff. So it IS a big deal. And to get pounds converted to kg's just divide by 2.2 (if you drop the .2 it won't be that off)

mamaoftwins9197
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I definitely don't plan to "cave in".  I just expected her to be different, I don't know why...LOL.  Maybe it's because I love her so much in every other respect.

Quoting Mrs-Atkinson:

If she says it's for "all babies" then she's obviously using the FF charts. I would request the WHO charts. The dr can bitch and moan all they want but it's YOUR child. They can't MAKE you give formula or cereal. Just stand firm on your choices.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mamaoftwins9197
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Wow...I might be doing it wrong, but it looks like DD is around the 70th percentile on this chart...LOL.  Doc kept saying she's "lean"...her rolls have rolls...LOL...but she's TALL.  Whatever, I'm happy with her progress and I KNOW she eats...LOL.

Quoting pixiefunk:

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/chts_wfa_girls_p/en/index.html

Make sure it is THIS chart. 

My son is 50th on the bf chart and 30th on the ff. So it IS a big deal. And to get pounds converted to kg's just divide by 2.2 (if you drop the .2 it won't be that off)

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM
*sigh*. Youre doing a great job. Keep at it. I've given up finding a pediatrician worth their weight in salt, when it comes to Breastfeeding. There is obviously a huge lack of training in this area in medical school. With my 3rd baby, she held her own at 50th percentile, then dropped and dropped until she fell just below the 0, where she has trended ever since. A perfect curve, just under the 0. After the whole "failure to thrive" thing, endocrinologists and nutritionists, they've all finally agreed she's perfectly healthy, but small, following her own curve. And 2 years later, they are finally saying that during my pregnancy and first 6 months of Breastfeeding that I did such a good job growing her that she couldn't maintain it on her own. Quite a far cry from the pedi telling me at 9 months that every mom's milk goes bad at some point and maybe the time to quit had come.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
djss4
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I gave my ds ceral for the first time the other day and let my pedi know about it today because wic says one thing and he said that it was perfectly fine but if i didnt want to i didnt have too ither. I think if yo wanna wait then wait. They are kinda obligated to say certian things and then of course if she is a mom then she probaly did that with her kids. Just do what you want to.

mamaoftwins9197
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Good for you mama!!!  I really wish they would devote at least a whole class (if not more) to BFing and make it mandatory for all OB's and pediatric doctors and nurses.  Thank God I have this group and my LLL meetings, so I know not to just go with what she says.  I got so discouraged by the lack of support with the twins, I just gave up nursing.  Don't plan on doing that this time around!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

*sigh*. Youre doing a great job. Keep at it. I've given up finding a pediatrician worth their weight in salt, when it comes to Breastfeeding. There is obviously a huge lack of training in this area in medical school. With my 3rd baby, she held her own at 50th percentile, then dropped and dropped until she fell just below the 0, where she has trended ever since. A perfect curve, just under the 0. After the whole "failure to thrive" thing, endocrinologists and nutritionists, they've all finally agreed she's perfectly healthy, but small, following her own curve. And 2 years later, they are finally saying that during my pregnancy and first 6 months of Breastfeeding that I did such a good job growing her that she couldn't maintain it on her own. Quite a far cry from the pedi telling me at 9 months that every mom's milk goes bad at some point and maybe the time to quit had come.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mamaoftwins9197
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Yeah, I'm not even gonna bring it up at my WIC appt on Tuesday.  They push the cereal and baby food.  I'll get it and donate it or set it aside til we're ready to use it, if at all.

Quoting djss4:

I gave my ds ceral for the first time the other day and let my pedi know about it today because wic says one thing and he said that it was perfectly fine but if i didnt want to i didnt have too ither. I think if yo wanna wait then wait. They are kinda obligated to say certian things and then of course if she is a mom then she probaly did that with her kids. Just do what you want to.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

rHOPEb
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Don't worry about it!!!  Just like kids will grow wide then tall....sounds like that's what your DD is doing.  She may gain the weight but distribute it differently.  Please continue to EBF and not worry about what others say.  As long as your child is growing normally, there should be no reason to change.  My DD wanted food around 7-8mo so I gave it to her and then she self-weaned at 12mo.  Every child is different and needs different things.  Listen to your child (not the pedi) and give her what she needs.  You will know when it is right to give her solids.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)