Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Technique for when engorgement prevents baby from latching properly

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM
  • 1 Replies

Now, I must say, the BEST way to resolve engorgement is to prevent it in the first place! Nurse your baby every 2-3 hours on demand and engorgement will rarely occur. Fullness of the breast is quite different from engorgement (engorgement is much more painful, flattens the nipples and results in difficulty latching). Fullness is just when they're firm and a little sore which is common when the colostrum transitions to mature milk (i.e., when your milk "comes in"), but occasionally some women never feel any kind of fullness or change whatsoever which is perfectly normal. 

So, here it is, I thought it might be helpful. And it includes a video of it as well!

Reverse Pressure Softening:

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31:rps-by-mother-with-guidance&catid=6:video-clips&Itemid=13

- Emy

AP, full-term breastfeeding, natural water birthing (freestanding birth center), non-vaccinating, cosleeping, crunchy, single mama to Ezra, Thames (reincarnated on 19th April 2008 at 6.5 weeks in the womb) and a baby on the way! Breastfeeding educator for four years, working on my CLE and hoping to one day become an IBCLC! 

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Thanks for the link, Emy! This technique works! 

Owner of CafeMom Groups....
Attachment Parenting Christians and Crunchy Moms

****PLEASE JOIN US IN OUR NEW GROUP FOR LACTIVISTS****

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)