Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DANG Low supply!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM
  • 11 Replies

So between having a hard time pumping at work and DS teething and not wanting to nurse much I am affraid that my supply is low. DS will now nurse and after a few minutes start tugging on my niipple. I tried to express on that side after he got upset and I couldn't express more then a few drops (I CAN USUALLY EXPRESS TONS) DS is 9 months old and not really eating much solids and this really worries me since I don't want him having formula. What can I do? I took some fenugreek but is there anything else to do?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet_Britt
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Eat oatmeal, drink more water, eat more protein : )

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM

It is growth sourt toime again, and his behavior is the ideal supply booster. See the Resources sticky for a link to a post titled HOW TO INCREASE SUPPLY.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Its the 9 month supply regulation as well as the normal baby growth spurt and developmental milestones...watch his diapers..

How much are you able  to pump at work in how many pumpings? How many hours away?  Do you pump mornings?

staciaw
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:46 PM

On the days I work I feed DS right before 7am. Pump at 10:30am and usually get 7oz total then I go feed DS at 12:30. Then most of the time I will pump again at 3:30pm and get about 5oz and then I am back with DS by 5:30. I didn't think about 9 month growth spurt but with his teething he has cut way back on feeding. Oh and I never pump when I am with DS

mommatess74
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM

maybe try to add one pumping session in before he wakes up in the am (or before you feed him at some point in the morning because that is when you have the best supply) or maybe even one at night after he is asleep... adding one pumping session in when you are with the little guy will help.

sweetstuff6
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:04 PM
bump

i have this problem too sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crystal8327
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I had this problem pumping at times but I think mine had to do with my cycle. One week out of every month i had such low supply it was not possible to not give him a little formula but normally i was able to pump enough.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:43 PM

WOAH you pump twice and get 12 oz total...you miss what 2 feedings?  whats MORE than enough.  Since you nurse at lunch you can subtract 2-3 hours from your time away so lets say you are gone 8 hours... thats fine.  How much can you pump now and how much is he taking in bottles.

You should pump every morning, even on days off..this will maintain a response to the pump and slight oversupply which is required to pump worth a darn

Quoting staciaw:

On the days I work I feed DS right before 7am. Pump at 10:30am and usually get 7oz total then I go feed DS at 12:30. Then most of the time I will pump again at 3:30pm and get about 5oz and then I am back with DS by 5:30. I didn't think about 9 month growth spurt but with his teething he has cut way back on feeding. Oh and I never pump when I am with DS

Crystal8327
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Yea 12 is a lot. I only got 8-9 ounces and that was pumping 3 times at work sometimes. I would feel blessed if i got 12 in 2 sessions lol.

staciaw
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Ok, maybe I wrote it wrong. My problem isn't at all with pumping or having milk cause I do have alot in the freezer but I just seemd to have a huge supply dip. He seems to be tugging alot and after all his tugging I try to express and get almost nothing, thats why I am worried.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)