Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question about breast feeding and sex

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

A couple women have told me while they were breast feeding they had unprotected sex. Has anyone ever been told by a dr that its hard to get pregnant while breast feeding. I had dd on 9/27/10 and dh and I would like to be intimate again. I cant use condoms because I am allergic. Any information would be helpful ladies ty

<=Livys Mom=Roberts Wife=>

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maryngabby1
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

BUMP!

Jess0915
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM
Well, my baby was born 9/9/10 and I'm pregnany again. So if you really don't want to get pregnant I would find another form of birth control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncbirdie
by Robyn on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Look into ecological breastfeeding and pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

CoastieWifePR
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

if you don't want hormonal birth control, have you asked your doctor about a copper IUD?  Good for 10 years, no hormones and you don't have to remember to put a pill or change a patch or take off the ring...  I have it and don't have any complaints other than the pesky spotting between periods (which I RARELY have anymore)...  If you don't want any more kids right now, I will suggest NOT having unprotected sex.  If you want to before talking to your doctor, check the contraceptive film

or diagrams or cervical caps...

Btw my daughter is product of the "pull out" method, so I do NOT recommend that unless you have a back-up like the contraceptive film...

IMO having sex without protection when trying to NOT conceive is like playing the Russian roulette...

tmalloy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM
I am pregnant with my 3rd "hard to get pregnant while breastfeeding" baby. I would recommend trying to find a BC if you really want to prevent anymore pregnancies. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superexcitedmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM
very great book!!! But if you have sex (protected or not) you risk getting prego. They say breastfeeding can be used as bc only if you nurse on demand every single time. (and this has no guarantee)

Quoting ncbirdie:

Look into ecological breastfeeding and pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shi_ree
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:19 PM
im on the shot it works great no periods
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lupe_wheeler
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I have the paragurd and I LOVE it.Its amazing no side effects I had heavy periods but i always have so its diff with others but i think its the best BC i have been on.

Quoting CoastieWifePR:

if you don't want hormonal birth control, have you asked your doctor about a copper IUD?  Good for 10 years, no hormones and you don't have to remember to put a pill or change a patch or take off the ring...  I have it and don't have any complaints other than the pesky spotting between periods (which I RARELY have anymore)...  If you don't want any more kids right now, I will suggest NOT having unprotected sex.  If you want to before talking to your doctor, check the contraceptive film

or diagrams or cervical caps...

Btw my daughter is product of the "pull out" method, so I do NOT recommend that unless you have a back-up like the contraceptive film...

IMO having sex without protection when trying to NOT conceive is like playing the Russian roulette...

ShadowLark
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Quoting Jess0915:

Well, my baby was born 9/9/10 and I'm pregnany again. So if you really don't want to get pregnant I would find another form of birth control.

Wow, congrats!  You're in for a crazy, hectic couple of years but it will be FUN!!!!  My first two are 13 months apart. :)

Sadly, bf DOES work as bc for me.  (Failed at it the first time.)  I didn't even get af until my odd was 12 1/2 months old and she and her sister are 32 months apart!  OP - use protection until you know your body.  And when you finally have the next baby, don't fall into the "but it worked before" trap.  Every baby is different and you have to test the waters each time unless you want to be pg fast.  I'm playing Russian Roulette here, but we want another one.  So far the baby is 5 months old and I'm getting bfn's.  Either the bf is working or the lack of time is!

ShellyF30810
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Breastfeeding is NOT a form of contraception!!!!!  The only thing thats been proven is that  BF mothers were "less" likely to get preggo that nonBF mothers! They make lamb skin condoms if you are allergic to the latex, they are a little more expensive but damn well worth it if you dont want to have another baby! The only other options are some type of hormone, or  there is some all natural forms of BC you can look them up online.One is a  lemon juice concoction (look how to use it and its not 100% as is anyting but not having sex!! lol)  and Queen Anne's Lace.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)