Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many times do you pump while at work?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

Apparently my boss went to HR to ask how many times I should be pumping a day.

I currently pump 3 times a day at work. Every 3 hours (or at least I try...sometimes I forget and it's 3.5 hours.)

My typical work day is like this:

• Feed my daughter at 7 am and get her dressed.
  • Drive her 30 minutes to daycare
  • Drive another 30 minutes to work (8:30 am)
  • Work until 5:00 pm and then race off to pick her up at daycare
  • Arrive home around 6 pm

The lady in HR told him I should only be pumping twice a day and that she should know she had a baby too.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjp2707
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:18 PM
Once for a four hour shift and twice for a 5 hour shift
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jocelynred
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

sounds like you need to investigate your state laws and maybe get a note from your ob. every 3 hours sounds right!

Sexy_Yessi
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM

probably 2-3 hours. but its law that they should let you pump during lunch and breaks and more if you need to.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:44 PM

You HR lady is an idiot and asking you to get clogged ducts and lowered supply...every 3 hours at the very least.  I pump at 7, 10, 12 and 2:30 or 3:15(varies by day for the last one) on MOndays I have to skip the 10am pump and I go through HELL of pain and barely expressing enough for the next days feeds.

Just because pumping twice a day worked for her doesn't mean jack shit...excuse me.  Get a letter from your LC saying you need to pump every 2-3 hours no matter what!

My advice is Pump at 6am(if you get up before you feed her) feed her at 7am, pump at 10, pump at 1, pump at 4 and nurse as soon as you pick up!

I have actually pumped while driving before on my way home..you could pump on the way TO daycare since you have another 30 min after getting your LO til you get home

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Once for every three hours away. 15 minutes total, start to finish. How many breaks do you get in a day? You can use them as you please as long as you're not breaking the law.

LoveMyViolet
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I don't really take breaks. I take one 1/2 hr lunch unpaid. My pumping sessions take 10 minutes tops. I'm allowed two 15 minute breaks so my three 10 minute pumping sessions should cover that.

I only work 2 days a week. And since my daughter turned 6 months old I have seen my supply drop a bit so there is no way I would go to two pumpings a day.

chundley
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I pump once for a 6 hour shift and twice for an 8-9 hour shift but I also get 10+oz when I pump.

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 10, 2010 at 7:55 AM

That's insane. On days I am at work for 5.5 hours I only get 1 break so I pump once then race home to pump, but with winter starting I may stay after work for 15 to pump so it isnt a close finish when I get home.  On days where I am there 8 hours I pump 3 times.  They can not tell you how to use your breaks, expecially your unpaid lunch.  I agree with PP about printing out your state laws and having those on hand and having your dr and LC write a note saying you need to pump 3 times a shift.  My employer is good about this but the dept. that makes the schedules not so much.  They change my breaks on me all the time and I finally had to have my dr and my LC write notes saying I need to have breaks at the same time everyday.  Good Luck.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Tylersmom119
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 8:03 AM
I pump 3 times at work. I wake up to pump at 5 am, drop DS off around 6:15. Work at 7am, pump around 9 or 10, then pump while eating lunch around 2, then again between 5 and 6. I get home around 8 and pump again. I wish I had time to pump more but I barely fit in 3, sometimes it's only twice in my 12 hr shift. Good thing it's only 3 days a week!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin_mommyx3
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 8:49 AM
2 to 3 times during my 12 hr shift
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)