Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SPOILED BREASTMILK?! help*

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM
  • 13 Replies
Ok I pumped at 130 this afternoon. I got 2 oz so I left it on the counter since I intended to use it for their 430 after nursing bottle BUT i used refridgerated milk instead. I forgot :( I noticed at 7 and tossed it in the fridge. I know the rule of 5's so I assume its not good now. I dont want to waste it but also dont wanna make the girls sick by giving it to them. Please let me know what you think I should do. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaForever007
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:26 PM
I'm not familiar with this rule of 5's. What is it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamiHartley
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM

if it was out for that long I would toss it. I know it's hard to do, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

mjp2707
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM
Fresh bm can be left out up to 10 hours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jocelynred
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM

fresh pumped breastmilk is good for 10 hours at room temp. put it in the fridge or use it for the next bottle.

Tylersmom119
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM
I left BM out all night once but it was right at 10-11 hrs when I realized. It didn't smell bad and tasted fine so I used it and it was ok. You should be fine to use that milk, don't throw it away!

Quoting mjp2707:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superexcitedmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM
if it was freshly expressed & just left at room temp then it's good sitting out for 10 hours!! :) so since you put it in the fridge it's still good!! Most likely IF ur milk ever does go bad then ur girls just won't drink it... I had an issue while traveling & my dd just would spit it out then I tasted & realized it wasn't good. :) no worries at all!!!

but what is this 5s rule??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Fresh milk is good for 10 hours at room temp..not heard of the rule of 5's.  Theres 10 hours fresh pumped at room temp, 24 hours with ice pack, 5-8 days in the fridge, 3-6 months in regular freezer 6-12 months deep freeze.

Maybe I missed a post before but why are you giving bottles after nursing again??

PieceOfMe3303
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM
I was told 5 hrs room temp, 5 days in fridge, 5 months in freezer. Never heard 10 hrs! Will it hurt them if its bad? I dont do breastmilk bottles at night so I can give it to them at 10am. Thanks for quick replies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryngabby1
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM
Quoting mjp2707:

it would smell yucky if it was bad and taste rotten
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:47 PM

yeah someone told you wrong..

Quoting PieceOfMe3303:

I was told 5 hrs room temp, 5 days in fridge, 5 months in freezer. Never heard 10 hrs! Will it hurt them if its bad? I dont do breastmilk bottles at night so I can give it to them at 10am. Thanks for quick replies!

here

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Storage guidelines

HUMAN MILK STORAGE - QUICK REFERENCE CARD
  Temperature Storage Time
Freshly expressed milk
Warm room 79°F / 25°C 4-6 hours
Room temperature 66-72°F / 19-22°C 10 hours
Insulated cooler / icepacks 60°F / 15°C 24 hours
Refrigerated Milk (Store at back, away from door)
Refrigerator (fresh milk) 32-39°F / 0-4°C 8 days
Refrigerator (thawed milk) 32-39°F / 0-4°C 24 hours
Frozen Milk (Do not refreeze! Store at back, away from door/sides)
Freezer compartment
inside refrigerator (older-style)
Varies 2 weeks
Self-contained freezer unit
of a refrigerator/freezer
Varies 3-6 months
Separate deep freeze 0°F / 19°C 6-12 months
These guidelines are for milk expressed for a full-term healthy baby.
If baby is seriously ill and/or hospitalized, discuss storage guidelines with baby’s doctor.

To avoid waste and for easier thawing & warming, store milk in 1-4 ounce portions. Date milk before storing. Milk from different pumping sessions/days may be combined in one container – use the date of the first milk expressed.

Breastmilk is not spoiled unless it smells really bad or tastes sour.

To thaw milk

• Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (this takes about 12 hours – try putting it in the fridge the night before you need it). Avoid letting milk sit out at room temperature to thaw.
  • For quicker thawing, hold container under running water - start cool and gradually increase temperature.

Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze.

To warm milk

• Heat water in a cup or other small container, then place frozen milk in the water to warm; or
  • Use a bottle warmer.
  • NEVER microwave human milk or heat it directly on the stove.

The cream will rise to the top of the milk during storage. Gently swirl milk (do not shake) to mix before checking temperature and offering to baby.

If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)