Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

drinking milk or just sucking??

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM
  • 5 Replies
my baby girl is 18 days old and our breastfeeding experience was going well til she got sick( just a cold with alot of congestion and coughing) she is doing better now and is finally latching on again, atleast I think she is.. it seems as if she has a strong grip on my nipple but her suckling is similar to almost a *nibbling* and she will do this for awhile then fall asleep. She's a very lazy eater and has been from the start. I just don't know if she is actually drinking or just sucking for comfort the entire time. She is content afterwards but I'm worried she's not eating enough and is just wearing herself out from trying...please help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
amayabrianna
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM

How is her diaper count? That is the only really conclusive way to tell. I think by this age she should have about 6-8 soiled diapers a day (pee and/or poop). If her diaper count is good then she is getting enough. 

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM

amayabrianna is right.  Count those diapers.  If there are enough, then she is getting enough. 

Another thought is that maybe she can't breathe.  All of mine when they were sick or just a little congested would do that.  Just be patient.....and you can put breastmlk/saline in her nose to loosen it all up for her, make it easier for her to breathe. 

cookincat743
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM

It's true about counting the diapers. But also just make sure you let her bf as much as she wants, she knows when she's hungry. And if she seems happy afterwards and falls asleep, then she got enough to drink. If she hadn't she wouldn't be happy! lol Don't worry it sounds like everything is fine

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM
You don't need to worry about if she is nursing for comfort or for milk, she will make sure she gets what she needs! As long as she has enough wet diapers and is gaining wt fine, then whatever she does is fine!
Kimberly0710
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Diaper count. She will eat crazy for awhile, at least DS did. He's still a lazy eater!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN