Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

DHA is it found in breastmilk or do i have to...

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM
  • 4 Replies

Eat foods that contain DHA, like fish?

On the website Babycenter it says that if my diet does not contain DHA that my baby won't get any through my breastmilk. It says that if my diet does not contain a few servingsof cold water fish every week, or other foods that contain DHA I should look into taking supplements. It said that I should consume 12 onces of fish or seafood a week.

It was to my understanding before I read this article that breastmilk contains everything a baby would need, and that the nutritional aspect of my diet had little to do with what she would receive, that if anything she would get what she needed, and I would lack.

I want the best for my baby so that's why I'm breastfeeding, but like most people, my diet is far from perfect. I try to eat healthy and I try to do the best I can and choose foods that will benefit me and my baby. But this article has me really doubting my milk now.:(

by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MissyPooh0525
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:22 PM

No need to stress yourself! I believe we're all doing the best that we can. That's why we chose to breastfeed. Now, I'm not an expert at breastfeeding so I couldn't answer your question. But I remember my pedi telling me to give DD vitamin D or something like that. So maybe our milk isn't the almighty savior! However, it is a heck of a lot better than formula. I guess I'm just saying to stop being hard on yourself and your milk because it is the best thing for your baby.

lifetimelove
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:22 PM
Your milk is still complete, but that doesn't mean it will have the optimal levels of nutrition if you don't have a healthy diet. Studies do show that americans have the lowest amount of dha in their breastmilk. But it's still better dha than what's in formula.

It's an easy solution. Eat more fatty fish or take a fish oil supplement. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Your milk is perfect, but they are right if you want higher levels of things like DHA you should eat foods high in those things.  Keep on mind that you do NOT want to give your baby DHA suppliments and not buy cereals or baby food with them because most times the DHA ARA in those foods are made with fungus and algae extracted with a toxic chemical called hexane.  Human DHA is in your milk its just in higher levels if you take some in yourself.

CadensMommy813
by on Jan. 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Your milk is perfect, but they are right if you want higher levels of things like DHA you should eat foods high in those things.  Keep on mind that you do NOT want to give your baby DHA suppliments and not buy cereals or baby food with them because most times the DHA ARA in those foods are made with fungus and algae extracted with a toxic chemical called hexane.  Human DHA is in your milk its just in higher levels if you take some in yourself.

I have read this, and I do not buy anything that says added DHA or ARA because of this reason. yuck! thank you! crazy that they would use that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)