Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My 3 week old hasn't gained weight in a week. UGH!!

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 2:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

He was 11lbs 10oz last Tuesday  and today we went to the doctors to get another weight check. He hasn't gained any ,just maintaining.   The doctor told me ,i need to supplement with breastmilk in a bottle. If that doesnt work ,then i need to go to formula.   She told me my baby is thriving . I asked her how much is milk he is suppose to get per feeding and she said , 3oz.   I'm having a difficult time pumping a half ounce out of each breast , i dont think i will get 3oz!  I feel like a failure. She also told me , maybe my milk isn't rich enough because  he is only maintaining weight not gaining an ounce a day like he should. 

I don't get it , i feed on demand and however long he likes.   The doctor told me to feed him 15 minutes on each breast , longer than that he is just "having fun".    I thought breastfeeding was a supply and demand process?

I'm feeling like a failure , i do not want my son to thrive but i also don't want him to have formula.   

Also, she said babies start to level out at 6 months with their weight.   If i'm correct , she said an ounce a day until 6 months . My baby will  suppose to weigh  23 lbs  @ 6 months then . Thats the size of a 1 yr old! 

He was a big boy at birth , 12lbs 10oz.  I'm thinking thats why he is not gaining so much weight right now. I feel he is perfect  but now i'm worried.

by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
maryo630
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM

BUMP!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Can I get some starting weights..birth, lowest..any others??

Quoting maryo630:

He was 11lbs 10oz last Tuesday  and today we went to the doctors to get another weight check. He hasn't gained any ,just maintaining. how are diapers?  The doctor told me ,i need to supplement with breastmilk in a bottle. ok bottles are never a good idea this young..SIGHIf that doesnt work ,then i need to go to formula.why not tell mom to see a LC and tell her how to raise supply...SIGH   She told me my baby is thriving . I asked her how much is milk he is suppose to get per feeding and she said , 3oz.NO thats too much 2 oz is the size of his tummy right now..2 oz every 2 hours is a FULL feed   I'm having a difficult time pumping a half ounce out of each breast , i dont think i will get 3oz! because you aren't supposed too I feel like a failure. doctor is failing you here, doctor is not BFing expert find a LC not doctor to give BFing adviceShe also told me , maybe my milk isn't rich enough because  he is only maintaining weight not gaining an ounce a day like he should. rich enough my butt, I hate that doctors say that crap...never true!  Its 4-6 oz a week so even if your baby was gaining the norm your doctor would be freaking out...SIGH AGAIN..4-6 oz a week is what you want to see

I don't get it , i feed on demand and however long he likes.   The doctor told me to feed him 15 minutes on each breast , longer than that he is just "having fun".  NOT true, let baby nurse on ONE side fully before changing because the fattiest milk is at the END of the feed, the back of the breast..  I thought breastfeeding was a supply and demand process? it is doctor is BFing ignorant

I'm feeling like a failure , i do not want my son to thrive but i also don't want him to have formula.    then find a LC and maybe even a new doctor

Also, she said babies start to level out at 6 months with their weight. slow down, they slow down at 4 months then again at 6 months  If i'm correct , she said an ounce a day until 6 months . My baby will  suppose to weigh  23 lbs  @ 6 months then . Thats the size of a 1 yr old!  no way...think double birthweight by 6 months...

He was a big boy at birth , 12lbs 10oz.are we sure this is right?? how much did he lose?  I'm thinking thats why he is not gaining so much weight right now. I feel he is perfect  but now i'm worried.

If he is still a lb below birthweight he must've lost a HUGE amount..how much did he lose to start off with...did you have GD?  Did you have a csection?

normal loss for him would've been 20-24 oz highest there is you had a csection or loads of IV fluids that would be 11lbs 6oz or 11lbs 2oz...

Has he been weighed on the same scale with the same amount of clothes?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Crap. Mary, I had a nice long reply that got deleted.

But in essence: I just ran the numbers and anyone who thinks your baby is failure to thrive is a BLITHERING IDIOT!

At baby's birth weight and current age... I would expect him to weigh 186-188 ounces. Guess what he weighs in ounces?

186 ounces!

He's supposed to put on an average of 4-6 ounces a week. NOT AN OUNCE A DAY! And some weeks he'll gain more, some he'll gain less. ALL GOOD as long as dipes and milestones are being met.

Fire the ped.

maryo630
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting maryo630:

If that makes any sense? 

Having issues with my baby Jason's  weight.    He has gained only 5 ounces in 2 weeks(since he has been born).so is he 5 oz up from birthweight or from lowest?  Can we get all weights you have?He was 12lbs 10oz at birth . He dropped to 11lbs 8oz in the hospital.When he was home for a few days , He then dropped to 11lbs 3 oz . He has gained 5 oz in 8 days. Well ,now 1 more ounce . His current weight is 11.9.

His doctor keeps having me come back for weight checks. grrr doctors annoy meToday, he only gained 1 oz in 4 days and she didn't like that. they grow in spurts though..how are daily diapers ? He poops 10-12 times a day . Wet diapers are about 8-10.  I change him  ALOT! lol 

She said if he doesn't gain 2 ounces by this  friday then i will have to give him formula to up his weight.2 oz is not hard to gain but formula is not the first answer...never referred you to an IBCLC, never asked about diapers?She asked about diapers but i gues thats not enough for her liking i'm assuming. Never mentioned increasing supply? She told me to pump after feeding him . Yeah change doctors and find one that supports BFing  I was thinking that as i was walking out of the office.

I don't want to give him formula .   I think he is doing fine , he is eating if he isn't sleeping. He sleeps 3 hours at a time though. I 've pumped milk and i'm getting about 2 oz .this means nothing He seems satisfied when  he is done nursing.  this doesn't either..diapers do...diaper count in 24 hours?? I'll have to actually count them but it seems i'm changing every hour and a half. He poops alot!  

He was a big baby when he was born , maybe that is the issue.  Even his doctor said he was big boy at birth and that maybe the reason why he isn't gaining enough weight that she likes. could mean he lost alot...I need weights

I really don't want to give him formula though because that will screw up my plans for EBF.formula is LAST choice...very last...not first stupid doctor

Is there any way i could make my milk more enriched with calories in a short period?no your milk is perfect, though you may have an oversupply and you can block feed for baby to get more hindmilk  I already eat good and healthy

maryo630
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM

They're looking at the scale  , not the baby . he is perfect but it would be nice to hear that he is .  I"m going to call a  LC.    He Diapers are enough , he looks around ,very alert.  

Quoting gdiamante:

Crap. Mary, I had a nice long reply that got deleted.

But in essence: I just ran the numbers and anyone who thinks your baby is failure to thrive is a BLITHERING IDIOT!

At baby's birth weight and current age... I would expect him to weigh 186-188 ounces. Guess what he weighs in ounces?

186 ounces!

He's supposed to put on an average of 4-6 ounces a week. NOT AN OUNCE A DAY! And some weeks he'll gain more, some he'll gain less. ALL GOOD as long as dipes and milestones are being met.

Fire the ped.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 19, 2011 at 4:01 PM

If they don't know to look at the baby and not the scale, they're fired.

Now, I want you to brand this in your mind:

DEATH = FAILURE. Nothing less. So no thinking this of yourself, y'hear?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN