Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

any moms take xanax while breastfeeding?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM
  • 13 Replies

My doctor just put me on .05 mil of generic xanax for my severe anxiety, and they know im breastfeeding, im wondering if anyone else takes it? and if you know if it has given your tot any side effects? my daughter is one

by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ScubasMommy
by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 11:51 PM

BUMP!

MyDecemberGirls
by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Hmmm not sure but heres a BUMP!

prdill08
by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I have used Alprazolam a few times (before dentist appts) without any issues, but I'm not sure about daily use.

I checked Lactmed...

Summary of Use during Lactation:
Because of reports of effects in infants, including sedation, alprazolam is probably not the best benzodiazepine for repeated use during nursing, especially with a neonate or premature infant. A shorter-acting benzodiazepine without active metabolites is preferred. After a single dose of alprazolam, there is usually no need to wait to resume breastfeeding.

Drug Levels:
Maternal Levels. Eight lactating women who averaged 11.8 weeks postpartum (range 6 to 28 weeks) were given a single 0.5 mg dose of alprazolam orally. Eleven breastmilk samples were obtained over the 36 hours after the dose. A mean peak alprazolam milk level of 3.7 mcg/L occurred at an average of 1.1 hours (range 0.47 to 3.8 hours) after the dose. The half-life of alprazolam in milk averaged 14.5 hours. The metabolites 4-hydroxyalprazolam and alpha-hydroxyalprazolam were not detected (<0.5 to 1 mcg/L) in milk. The authors calculated that an exclusively breastfed infant whose mother was taking alprazolam in the normal dosage range would receive a dose of 0.5 to 5 mcg/kg/day or about 3% of the maternal weight-adjusted dosage.[1]

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Effects in Breastfed Infants:
Increased infant irritability following discontinuation of breastfeeding occurred in a 1-week-old infant whose mother had taken alprazolam during pregnancy and continued to take it after delivery. This reaction probably indicates that there was sufficient alprazolam in breastmilk to prevent withdrawal. The authors reported correspondence with the manufacturer who stated that they had received reports of infant withdrawal symptoms (crying, irritability and sleep disturbances) for 2 weeks in a 9-month-old exclusively breastfed infant after slow (over 3 weeks) maternal discontinuation of alprazolam (dosage unspecified).[2]

In one telephone follow-up study of 5 infants (ages not stated) exposed to alprazolam during breastfeeding, 1 mother reported drowsiness in her infant. The reaction did not require medical attention.[3]

Possible Effects on Lactation:
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Alternate Drugs to Consider:
Lorazepam, Oxazepam

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 31, 2011 at 9:57 AM

We've had moms taking Xanax before.... I cannot recall anyone ever having an issue.

ScubasMommy
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Quoting prdill08:

I have used Alprazolam a few times (before dentist appts) without any issues, but I'm not sure about daily use.

I checked Lactmed...

Summary of Use during Lactation:
Because of reports of effects in infants, including sedation, alprazolam is probably not the best benzodiazepine for repeated use during nursing, especially with a neonate or premature infant. A shorter-acting benzodiazepine without active metabolites is preferred. After a single dose of alprazolam, there is usually no need to wait to resume breastfeeding.

Drug Levels:
Maternal Levels. Eight lactating women who averaged 11.8 weeks postpartum (range 6 to 28 weeks) were given a single 0.5 mg dose of alprazolam orally. Eleven breastmilk samples were obtained over the 36 hours after the dose. A mean peak alprazolam milk level of 3.7 mcg/L occurred at an average of 1.1 hours (range 0.47 to 3.8 hours) after the dose. The half-life of alprazolam in milk averaged 14.5 hours. The metabolites 4-hydroxyalprazolam and alpha-hydroxyalprazolam were not detected (<0.5 to 1 mcg/L) in milk. The authors calculated that an exclusively breastfed infant whose mother was taking alprazolam in the normal dosage range would receive a dose of 0.5 to 5 mcg/kg/day or about 3% of the maternal weight-adjusted dosage.[1]

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Effects in Breastfed Infants:
Increased infant irritability following discontinuation of breastfeeding occurred in a 1-week-old infant whose mother had taken alprazolam during pregnancy and continued to take it after delivery. This reaction probably indicates that there was sufficient alprazolam in breastmilk to prevent withdrawal. The authors reported correspondence with the manufacturer who stated that they had received reports of infant withdrawal symptoms (crying, irritability and sleep disturbances) for 2 weeks in a 9-month-old exclusively breastfed infant after slow (over 3 weeks) maternal discontinuation of alprazolam (dosage unspecified).[2]

In one telephone follow-up study of 5 infants (ages not stated) exposed to alprazolam during breastfeeding, 1 mother reported drowsiness in her infant. The reaction did not require medical attention.[3]

Possible Effects on Lactation:
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Alternate Drugs to Consider:
Lorazepam, Oxazepam

sooo, wait , lol im not cery smart, how many hours does it mean it lasts? and it can cause withdrawl? and did it say it caused sleep disturancces while taking it or after stop taking it?

CAgirl1214
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I don't know but I know i took 150mg of zoloft for my anxiety while BF and there aren't side effects for that one.

prdill08
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

We've had moms taking Xanax before.... I cannot recall anyone ever having an issue.

This.  You can watch your baby for any side effects and stop if you think it's an issue.  I didn't notice any sedation with my son.

Penny~ Mommy to Tyler 16, Annamaria 11, Amelia 8, Adeline 7, and Lucas born on June 30, 2010

Krysta622
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I take this, but not on a regular basis.  Is this being prescribed to take in the event that you need it, or daily, as a precaution?  Generally, Xanax is something you take only when needed, so I'm going to guess that's how you will be taking it.  Have you ever taken this before?  .5 mg isn't usually the starting dose, as far as I know most people are started on .25, then increased if needed.  If you've never taken this before, I would probably take half, at least at first, to judge how you react.  I know advising you to take a medication NOT according to the doctors instrucions isn't the best thing, but it's something to think about, and maybe discuss with the doc. 

tomary
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I would contact a lactation consultant just to be on the safe side. I know that it is really bad for pregnant mothers and can cause birth defects if taken then. The good thing is you have the lowest possible dose. I would maybe even cut it in half and only take it when you really need it. Oh, and please be careful with that. Before I got pregnant I was addicted to xanax. I started off with the .5 then moved up to 2mg and I HAD to take it every night or I could not sleep. I got off of it right before I got pregnant and had severe insomnia due to stopping it so suddenly.

ScubasMommy
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Quoting Krysta622:

I take this, but not on a regular basis.  Is this being prescribed to take in the event that you need it, or daily, as a precaution?  Generally, Xanax is something you take only when needed, so I'm going to guess that's how you will be taking it.  Have you ever taken this before?  .5 mg isn't usually the starting dose, as far as I know most people are started on .25, then increased if needed.  If you've never taken this before, I would probably take half, at least at first, to judge how you react.  I know advising you to take a medication NOT according to the doctors instrucions isn't the best thing, but it's something to think about, and maybe discuss with the doc. 

yes i have taken it for years, stopped when i got pregnant, and only as needed, problem is my aanxiety seems to spike up everynight....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN