Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night weaning??

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:31 AM
  • 4 Replies

DD is 8 months old, and wakes up 2-3 a night to nurse and go back to sleep. The last few weeks, however, she has been literally falling asleep as soon as she gets picked up, and her latch is TERRIBLE, she half hearted sucks for a few mins until I put her back in her crib. So, would it be possible to wean her at night?? How would I do that?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Nightweaning should not be done by the parent under age 12 months, over age 1sure no problem, but under 12 months denying a nursing is always a bad idea.  BUT if baby is not actually nursing yuo can try to get daddy to soothe baby to sleep or use a pacifier and see if baby goes back to sleep..this I do not consider nightweaning...nightweaning is actually denying a nursing and refusing to nurse even though child wants it. Beware heres a big growth spurt coming and your LO may just go back to nursing more at night!

motherslove82
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I don't know. My 22 month old is still waking up at night to nurse, but here's a BUMP!

jessnjosh87
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 7:32 AM

So if she starts sleeping through the night on her own, it's fine, but I shouldn't push the issue? That makes me feel better. She has slow weight gain, and I was worried she wouldn't be getting those extra calories at night. :) And I'm used to waking up at those times, so even if she's not awake, I am!! LOL thanks so much!!!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Nightweaning should not be done by the parent under age 12 months, over age 1sure no problem, but under 12 months denying a nursing is always a bad idea.  BUT if baby is not actually nursing yuo can try to get daddy to soothe baby to sleep or use a pacifier and see if baby goes back to sleep..this I do not consider nightweaning...nightweaning is actually denying a nursing and refusing to nurse even though child wants it. Beware heres a big growth spurt coming and your LO may just go back to nursing more at night!

CafeMom Tickers
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Yep no parent weaning before one. Especially if she has legitamit weight issues *I* wouldn't limit nursings! Babies naturally wake and mommy being there is good for everyone. My 15 mo old is still up 1-3 x's a night. When shes ready to sleep through the night she will. Every kiddo is different. My oldest slept through (12hrs) at 8 weeks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)