Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding and miscarriage

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi mommas.  Last week I found out I was pregnant through an ultrasound and blood test.  It was a surprise, and I didn't tell my family or my DF.  I wanted to wait for the pregnancy to stick.  Early this morning I went to the emergency room because I was bleeding pretty heavily.  I knew what it happened, since I have lost a baby before.  And sure enough, during the ultrasound they could not find a heartbeat even though I was nearly 10 weeks pregnant.  Just 6 days earlier, I saw the baby's heart...and now it was unmoving.

I am pretty upset, but I understand that this happens for a reason.  DF is wondering why I didn't tell him.  I wanted to, but I was unsure what he would do/say.  Our relationship has been rocky lately due to my PPD and my hormones trying to settle back in after having Jaden.  He is comforting though, something I love most about him.  Today is bittersweet...since Jaden is celebrating his 5th month birthday, lol. 

Since I have had a c-section and a prior DnE, I scheduled another DnE for this miscarriage.  I will be having it done on Friday.  Instead of being put under, I asked for a spinal tap or some other medicine so I wouldn't be knocked out so I am able to breastfed.  I am just wondering if anyone else did this?  What were the outcomes?  The DR didn't really have many answers since he said he never seen a breastfeeding mother miscarry.  Any answers are welcome.  Thank you in advance.

*Oh, since it is a special day for my little man...here he is.  He's still my mircale baby*

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM

You'll still be able to breastfeed after general aneasthesia.  As soon as you're alert, you can nurse.  You can pump between now and then to have milk for when you're unable to nurse, but it shouldn't be too long.  With my DandC, I think we were at the hospital for all of 3 hours.

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I know how hard it is. ((hugs))

SapphireMomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Thank you.  With my previous DnE I was in and out within 2 hours so I believe it won't be a long time.  I'm just hoping my supply comes back up once this is over with.  I had to resort to giving DS a sippy with BM the past few days because I'm not making enough.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM

expect hormones to be wacky and for supply to act wierd, but keep on nursing and everything will regulate and be ok.

I am very sorry for your loss, we have lost 3 in the past...its never easy.  Remember that it was NOT BFing that caused this..

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM

This will only hurt supply worse..were his diapers low?  5 is ok at his age...if you get that give no supplimental milk as that WILL hurt supply. BTW no fenugreek right now even though you are no longer worried about the pregnancy fenugreek can cause bleeding.

Quoting SapphireMomma:

Thank you.  With my previous DnE I was in and out within 2 hours so I believe it won't be a long time.  I'm just hoping my supply comes back up once this is over with.  I had to resort to giving DS a sippy with BM the past few days because I'm not making enough.

SapphireMomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

This will only hurt supply worse..were his diapers low?  5 is ok at his age...if you get that give no supplimental milk as that WILL hurt supply. BTW no fenugreek right now even though you are no longer worried about the pregnancy fenugreek can cause bleeding.

Quoting SapphireMomma:

He was averaging about 3 a day for a few days.  What's ironic is that today he had 3 so far.  We were only giving him a sippy at night, after I nursed him just to make sure he had enough.  When he had to sippy, I pumped just to try to keep my supply from further dying.  Luckily enough, he didn't lose any weight...but the toss up from that is he didn't gain either.  I can tell he was hungry though, he's nursing almost non-stop since I came home this morning.  Thank you, I was worried that because of the BFing I caused the m/c. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Quoting SapphireMomma:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting SapphireMomma:

He was averaging about 3 a day for a few days.  What's ironic is that today he had 3 so far.  We were only giving him a sippy at night, after I nursed him just to make sure he had enough.  When he had to sippy, I pumped just to try to keep my supply from further dying.  Luckily enough, he didn't lose any weight...but the toss up from that is he didn't gain either.  I can tell he was hungry though, he's nursing almost non-stop since I came home this morning.  Thank you, I was worried that because of the BFing I caused the m/c. 

3 total diapers or 3 wet..total yeah thats an issue.  Just nurse nurse nurse and things should get back to normal very soon supply wise as your HCG levels drop.

I hated it when people told me this but I hope this will reassure you about the BFing not causing the loss....early losses are the bodies way of taking care of itself.  When a baby is created sometimes there is a genetic issue, or it does not implant correctly or some other issue and the body realizes it and "corrects" the situation.  Its not the correction WE like, but its what happens many times.

HUGS momma...let yourself grieve in any way you need to, if you need anything message me, I wil try to get back with you as soon as I can.

mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM

You have plenty of good advice here . . .I just wanted to add my "sorry". . .miscarriage is awful, no matter why or when it happens. *hugs* to you. .

willibums-mama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I have no advice. Just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your loss.

Also, your son is beautiful!

SapphireMomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice.  I have been pretty good today.  Even with my previous loss I was fine until I had the procedure.  Again, thank you all so much. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)