Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding No no's??

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM
  • 38 Replies
It has been 5 years since I breastfed. I am trying to remember the foods to stay away from. If I remember right its strawberries, honey, peanut products, broccoli (causes gas pains), spicy and fried food too. Anything else? Also, what is a really good med website to see if and how much of a med is safe for breastfeeding?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama91605
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM
I have been nursing for 22 months and I have always just ate what ever. Neither of my babies have ever had a reaction to anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama91605
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM
Safe fetus is a great website for medication

Quoting mama91605:

I have been nursing for 22 months and I have always just ate what ever. Neither of my babies have ever had a reaction to anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoniaL
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM

You only need to stay away from foods if baby reacts.   You can have all of those things while BFing.  

MrsPilat
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Quoting SoniaL:

You only need to stay away from foods if baby reacts.   You can have all of those things while BFing.  

mama02040608
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM
You really can eat anything you want unless baby has a reaction to something you ate. I never restricted anything in my diet, and my babies were ok with my milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM
Lact med is good for med advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haymama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM
i personally never stayed away from anything except the obvious drugs alcohol smoke that kinda stuff, as far as spicey food i dont eat really spicey stuff anyways (i have reflux) and idk about a med website i just always ask the dr b4 taking stuff, goodluck nursing i will be too for the 3rd time come march
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Yeah all that stuff is not necessarily true..eat what you want unless baby has a reaction.  Gassy foods do not necesarily mean gassy baby either.  Why not friend food?  Honey, strawberries and peanuts are fine too...not for baby to eat but for you its fine.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM

There are no foods that you have to stay away from while nursing - if baby is having problems, there is an elimination diet you can try to see if certain foods are the culprit, but that's mostly dairy and wheat-related foods that get cut out as those are the 2 most common issues. 

lactmed.com is a great site for checking on med-compatibility.  There aren't many that can't safely be taken  ;)

mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM

What not to eat depends completely on baby. I never limited anything and my LOs never had an issue.

Here is a link to the Lactmed database for checking meds. .

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)