Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whole milk (maybe OT)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:46 AM
  • 28 Replies
This may be OT but I wanted to know your opinions.

I just took my dd to her 1 year appointment. She will be 13 months on Friday. The doctor told me she should be drinking 24 oz of whole milk a day. That seems like way too much. She still breastfeeds regularly and I told him this.

Is that how much milk she should be drinking? I don't really like th idea of giving her cows milk at all right now and I didn't think she needed it, but I don't want her to be unhealthy.

He also seemed appalled that I give her water too. I give it to her after she eats. Is there some reason she shouldn't have it?

Sorry for the dumb questions. This is my first child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lyras_Mama29
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM
If you're still bf I don't see the point of giving her more milk. I also don't understand whats wrong with giving water. It helps keep them hydrated. And who wants to always drink milk and juice? Do you give tap or purified? Maybe thats what he was appalled about. And don't worry. They weren't dumb questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM

She does not need whole milk. As long as she is still nursing at least 3 times a day, she doesn't need ANY supplemental anything to drink. Offering water after meals after 12 mos is completely FINE. Your pediatrician is apparently not educated about nutrition and breastfeeding. . .

If "other moms'" experience helps you, my DD is 15 mos, still nurses 3-4 times a day and does not drink cow's milk. I give her yogurt in some form once a day b/c some research has linked lactose intolerance to delayed intro of dairy. Dairy is never really necessary but I don't want my kids to be intolerant so trace amounts were intro'd at 1 year. I give my DD a cup of water with lunch and dinner (the aforementioned yogurt drink at breakfast) & any other time she asks for it. She is a healthy little one.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM

This is a great question - not dumb at all!  :)

Baby doesn't need whole milk if she's bfing at least 3-4 times a day.  She's getting plenty of nutrients through you.  If you'd like, though, you can feed her dairy like cheese and yogurt and cottage cheese.  Water is fine.  She's plenty old enough to have a cup of water to drink at meal times and througout the day.

My ds is 32 months, nurses anywhere between 2-10 times a day and doesn't drink milk.  He won't be drinking milk until he weans.  No biggie.  :)

Sounds like you're doing just fine, Mama. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

She doesn't need whole milk at all. Carry on as you are.

momm41979
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

that all sounds really off, water and milk (formula, milk or breastmilk) is all I would give a child, and yes if your child is still BF then I dont see why she needs any cows milk at all.

WilliamsMama08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

DS1 has NEVER drank that much milk.  At most he had 16oz in a day (8oz in the am and 8oz in the pm). 

Ammie25
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I recently decided I am going to breastfeed til at least 2 years old to avoid the "switch to whole milk" thing. I am absolutely against giving cows milk, too!

I don't think cows milk is "better" in any way, shape or form than breastmilk. Cows milk is for calves and breastmilk is for human babies/toddlers. I don't think you should need to give your LO ANY cows milk whatsoever. Just make sure she gets plenty of food in her diet that contains Calcium and open up the shades to let the sun shine in for at least 15 min/day for that good ol' Vitamin D.

Water won't hurt her, but isn't "necessary" especially while breastfeeding. The foremilk of breastmilk is more "watery" and is more hydrating than the later fattier hindmilk. I give my LO water in a sippy just so that she can learn how to use the sippy, but water isn't a regular part of her daily intake.

Your child isn't going to have any health defects from not drinking cows milk. In fact, the belief that cows milk is some type of perfect food for our toddlers/children is a reason that alot of our children are not getting enough nutrition! Some parents just fill up children's bottle anytime they are hungry. MIlk does not have any other nutrition besides calcium and Vitamin D. If that is all they are getting, they are not getting the nutrition they need!!

Breastmilk on the other hand, is a different story and changes to meet the needs of growing children. Doctors are quick to recommend vitamin supplements for breastfed babies, but I don't hear about toddlers who are drinking cows milk for 90% of their diet getting vitamin supplements!

Anywho, there's soap box rant. :)

Follow your motherly instincts and do whats right for you and your child.You're doing great!

tangerine11
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM
Thanks ladies! I thought I was doing fine then the doctor made me feel like I was hurting my daughter.

She eats cheese and she eats yogurt daily. And we eat a ton of vegetables. She loves spinach. And we only drink bottled water, because the tap water is weird tasting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaurenGreen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM

No, she doesn't need whole milk since she's still breastfeeding. My doc actually encourages giving my toddler water instead of so much milk. I was told to only give her two cups/day of milk.

apoe
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM

when i took mine to the dr last week for his 1 yr she told me to give a littlw whole milk a day so he gets to know the taste but that if i wanted to wait to give him any that was fine since he still nurses 4 timesa day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)