Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has this happened to anybody else?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM
  • 14 Replies

I'm still nursing my 18 month old several times a day, and taking the mini pill. My period came back when she was 15 months old. It's been so weird, I don't know what to think of it. The first period was a normal 7 days, and that was it. Then I didn't get another period for 6 weeks, and that one lasted 9 days, went away for a couple of days, then I had 3 days of spotting. Then 3-4 weeks went by and I got another period that lasted 9 days, went away for a few days, spotted for a day or two, went away, and now has come back full on only a week later. So my 9 day period ended on January 31st, and came back full on yesterday and is still going today. I called my doctor and they said it's because I'm breastfeeding and on the mini pill. Has anybody else experienced this? Does it sound normal? They also told me to take a pregnancy test, but I don't see the point, because since I'm bleeding so much I'm pretty sure there's not a baby in there, and if there was I'd be miscarrying due to the bleeding. What would you do in this situation?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I had a similar experience. BF and taking the mini-pill. I got my first period back at almost 12 mos PP. Had a few days of bleeding, then a week of nothing, then a 7-8 day period. At 13 mos I had an 8 day period, 10 days off and 3 more days of bleeding. At 14 mos, I had a normal, albeit heavier than before this LO, period. It last 9 days but then it was 30 days before I got my next one. I actually had my normal well-woman visit with my OB during that time and he told me the same thing. . .breastfeeding and the mini-pill were the culprit and that it would probably regulate on its own. They also recommended a pg test to me a month before that over the phone and I took it and it was negative. It sucks, but apparently it's common. . .

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

This is indeed a common issue with taking the minipill. I've seen it VERY often. I don't do pills because I can't remember them myself.

nicole4ray
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Well it is good to hear that I'm not alone. It's driving me nuts. I feel like I have to wear a pad 24/7 just incase it starts again. The other annoying part is I feel flutters in my belly all the time, and it feels like a baby kicking...but it's just gas. So then I start getting ideas in my head lol. I wish it would regulate already.

Quoting mombloggerJ:

I had a similar experience. BF and taking the mini-pill. I got my first period back at almost 12 mos PP. Had a few days of bleeding, then a week of nothing, then a 7-8 day period. At 13 mos I had an 8 day period, 10 days off and 3 more days of bleeding. At 14 mos, I had a normal, albeit heavier than before this LO, period. It last 9 days but then it was 30 days before I got my next one. I actually had my normal well-woman visit with my OB during that time and he told me the same thing. . .breastfeeding and the mini-pill were the culprit and that it would probably regulate on its own. They also recommended a pg test to me a month before that over the phone and I took it and it was negative. It sucks, but apparently it's common. . .

nicole4ray
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM

If it were just up to me I wouldn't be on the pill anymore. But my husband would go nuts if I quit taking it. So I take it to keep him happy lol.

Quoting gdiamante:

This is indeed a common issue with taking the minipill. I've seen it VERY often. I don't do pills because I can't remember them myself.

mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Yeah, it drove me nuts, too. I would like to just quit the pill b/c of it but I have endometriosis and it *might* help keep scarring from forming & preserve fertility (not enough research to say for sure) so I keep taking it.  .at least until I can talk DH into another baby. lol.

Mine did level out after 3 mos of weirdness, tho. Hopefully yours will too.

Quoting nicole4ray:

Well it is good to hear that I'm not alone. It's driving me nuts. I feel like I have to wear a pad 24/7 just incase it starts again. The other annoying part is I feel flutters in my belly all the time, and it feels like a baby kicking...but it's just gas. So then I start getting ideas in my head lol. I wish it would regulate already.

Quoting mombloggerJ:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM

This is why I tell moms to get the Paragard IUD lol....stupid hormones

blg5484
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM

it may mot be strong enough for you I dont take BC because of the health effects but i have heard that those low dose pills dont always work and i dont think BF would make you bleed ive never heard of that

jeng1980
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I had a hard time with the spotting but moreso with a harsh mood.  It was absolutely HORRIBLE.  I was a monster.  As soon as my cycle returned it was really bad.  It wasn't just around PMS week either, it was ALL the time.  God Bless my husband for being there through it all.  :)

nicole4ray
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM

For me it's not so much the mood, but the food cravings lol. I crave junk food while I'm on my period. So when I have a period every other week I eat horribly! For dinner sunday I had my husband buy me a big mac and fries, monday I bought a cheeseburger and a cookie dough shake, yesterday I had my husband go out and buy me another cookie dough shake with extra cookie dough. This is not going to work out for me weight wise!

Quoting jeng1980:

I had a hard time with the spotting but moreso with a harsh mood.  It was absolutely HORRIBLE.  I was a monster.  As soon as my cycle returned it was really bad.  It wasn't just around PMS week either, it was ALL the time.  God Bless my husband for being there through it all.  :)

mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Quoting jeng1980:

OMG, when you stopped taking it did the mood get better? I have felt like a stark raving b__ for a few months now and I never linked the two. . .but now that you say that, it DID seem to start around the time DD turned one. Hmm. . .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)