Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler nursing much more while family is in transition

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM
  • 2 Replies

The thread about the toddler nursing like a newborn right after a move has made me think, and now I'm wondering if we're going through something similar.  We haven't moved yet, but my husband has asked for a divorce, so DS and I are getting our own place at the end of this month.  We're keeping things as amicable as we can, and we don't argue in front of him, but maybe DS is sensing something; of course, his dad and I don't hug each other or cuddle as a threesome like we used to.  He has really ramped up the breastfeeding, which may also coincide with the 18-month growth spurt.  Separation anxiety is hitting too, for the first time, for example at the church nursery.  He used to see the toys and take off without a backward glance at me, but now he melts down as soon as he sees the room.  He has a pretty stable bedtime routine, but maybe it needs tweaking.

Aside from keeping the conflict to a minimum and keeping a stable routine, any tips on how to help DS through this?  I plan to keep letting him nurse on demand, but I've never done otherwise.  His dad plans to come to my place and keep him while I'm at work as he has always done, so I don't think we'll have to transition him to daycare yet.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM

My son had no transition and between 18-20 months he went back to nursing like a newborn AND had seperation issues...do not feel this is just from the transition at all.  Of course that can cause some changes but remember so does growing up.

jeng1980
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I totally agree.  I had the same type of "changes" with my children as well and there wasn't anything going on in our home.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

My son had no transition and between 18-20 months he went back to nursing like a newborn AND had seperation iss with ues...do not feel this is just from the transition at all.  Of course that can cause some changes but remember so does growing up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)