Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

clusterfeeding/ Keeping myself healthy too!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have been home from the hospital for 3 days. I had a c-section am fighting some kind of infection that the dr's can't figure out, i am severely anemic (or as the dr put it...dangerously anemic). On top of all this my little princess is cluster feeding. Can you tell me the kind of things you keep on hand for a healthy quick snack? I am SO fatigued and have had a migraine for almost 48 hrs. I just realized i am barely eating and drinking because i am SO tired i want to sleep when Avery isn't nursing. I need some ideas on things i can shove in my face while i am standing in front of the fridge grabbing my water. I like all food i like healthy food i am just not crazy about dairy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mom2the.rescue
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

nuts, prewashed fruits & veggies, pretzels, crackers.  I ate a lot of toast those 1st few days.  eggs are good too, maybe hard boil some & keep a few in the fridge for a quick protein snack.  do you like string cheese?  thats an easy one

amileegirl
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I think i lived on peanut butter sandwiches,trail mix, apples and bananas, for a week :)   Water was in gallon jugs near me all times.

magiccrew5
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your baby! I hope that you have someone around to help you at home.  My favorite snacks to have on hand are fruits and veggies, cheese sticks, muffins, nuts/butters, passta salad, and cooked meats( like chicken) that can be sliced before hand and nibbled right out of the fridge. In the early days it's all about what's fast and easy. Hope you get some rest!

conejoazul
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM

My son nursed so intently in the early months that I always felt like I was starving even though I was eating well.  I kept a box of lightly salted Almonds + Raisins and some granola bars near the nursing chair/sofa.  Also my husband or mother-in-law always made sure I never went to bed for the night without some sort of sandwich (in a lidded box ) plus a bottle or two of water.  I didn't have any wheat / nut / dairy issues so Peanut Butter or  Nutella   (or both!) on whole wheat or a chesse sandwich usually meant I didn't have to try to get to the kitchen during the night hours.  Maybe it is just in my head, but I felt always pushing myself to drink at least two liters of water throughout the day really helped me not feel so wiped out and as if my hormones were more balanced - the days I didn't get the water in, were nuts!  Good luck!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Baby carrots and fresh fruit were my life savers. I drank smartwater as it has electrolytes so I could drink less and my body would still feel like and actually absorb enough fluids.

black strap molasses is very high in iron you can add that to your oatmeal(which also helps supply) to raise iron levels.  YOu can use them both to make cookies you can snack on too.

Heather881029
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I ate lactation cookies and oatmeal squares for 2 weeks after the twins were born. 

TTC2Long
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM
Peanut butter & honey sandwiches on whole grain bread is good, or quarter an apple & spread pb on the slices - SO filling & good for you. Can someone make you some salads? My mom made a pasta salad and egg salad and I literally stood in front of the fridge and 'shoved it in my face,' right out of the tupperware. I also kept jars of raw nuts and dried fruits by the bed - if it was in the plastic bags, the rustling would wake the nursing baby. Beans would be really good for you, too, for the iron, so have your mom/so mix refried beans with salsa and cheese (I like whole grain rice in mine for the excellent protein the combo provides). You can eat it warm or cold in a tortilla or with chips as a filling dip.
A raw broccoli salad would be good too. There are some awesome recipes online. Or this: make some quinoa, a REALLY healthy grain, cooks like rice, but faster and healthier. Add salt & papper & lemon juice and mix with fresh baby spinach. That's another salad you can eat right out of the fridge and would seriously help your anemia. I hope you have someone to do a little cooking for you.

Congrats on your bundle and on bfing!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drealu
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM

one super calorie plus protein snack that we always have is frozen french toast. just take that out of the freezer, stick in your toaster...and then slab peanut butter on it! Ta-da!! You've got fiber, protein, good fats and it tastes yummy!

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Great advice so far. I agree and have nothing new to add! Hope you feel better soon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)