Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often should my 6 week old eat? PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

During the day he eats for short periods of time every hour or hour and a half. He may go one two hour stretch during the day.

At night he was doing every 2-2.5 hours but lately it's been every hour and a half with one 2.5 hour stretch per night.

Is this not excessive for a 6 week old? I thought after a month you should have fewer nursing sessions. I feel like all I do is nurse. He is having plenty of wet/poopy diapers and is gaining weight well so I don't think I have a supply issue at this time.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Not excessive. There's really no such thing.

The forever answer to your question is "as often as he wants." That never changes, no matter what the age. How often he wants will change. But at six weeks... WAY too early to be looking for that. Another month or so.

drealu
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM

My little guy is almost 10wks and he eats every 2-2.5hrs during the day and 3-4 at night. Although during a growth spurt he will eat as often as your little man, but still the longer stretches during the night.

How long will he nurse? 5-10min, 15-20...and on both sides? I'd say either he is being a snacker or he is going thru a growth spurt.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Six weeks is growth spurt time. And snacking is how we're programmed to eat... it should not be discouraged.

piggy11721
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM

When ever he wants. It is natures way of making sure he has all the food he needs  :)

Faith-Hope-Love
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM

5-10 mins on one side during the day and 10-15 mins on one side at night. I only do one side because he was getting too much foremilk. During the day he is definetly snacking as he eats slowly and pacifies. At night he is gulping quickly during the whole feeding so I know he is getting a lot.

I am beyond EXHAUSTED.

Quoting drealu:

My little guy is almost 10wks and he eats every 2-2.5hrs during the day and 3-4 at night. Although during a growth spurt he will eat as often as your little man, but still the longer stretches during the night.

How long will he nurse? 5-10min, 15-20...and on both sides? I'd say either he is being a snacker or he is going thru a growth spurt.

drealu
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I hear ya! thats exactly how we were with the foremilk issue and the super fast let down. I only nurse on one side too. I find though that sometimes he thinks he is full, but either he is tired from the vigorous sucking or he is full of air from trying not to strangle because of the let down. Have you tried a short burping time after the first 10 min and then returning him to that side to finish? Also what I have done during those growth spurts is have a little extra bm on hand in the freezer and give him that at night to give my nips a rest. That is, if you are comfy with using a bottle and pumping.

Quoting Faith-Hope-Love:

5-10 mins on one side during the day and 10-15 mins on one side at night. I only do one side because he was getting too much foremilk. During the day he is definetly snacking as he eats slowly and pacifies. At night he is gulping quickly during the whole feeding so I know he is getting a lot.

I am beyond EXHAUSTED.

Quoting drealu:

maggiemom2000
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM

What you describe is totally normal for a 6 week old!

However, are you sure you have the oversupply under control and that he's not still getting too much foremilk? The trouble with oversupply is that there is so much stored milk in the breast that the baby can't drink it all. He fills up on the thin, high-sugar milk and never gets to the satisfying, freshly made, higher fat milk. The high-sugar milk quickly empties from baby's stomach, and soon after eating he acts like he's "starving" again.

Check out the info at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

gracielynn87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:12 PM

If he is having good diaper count then he is prob fine. It might just be how he nurses. My older son did this too.. nursed like every half hour for like 20 min.. so I only had a short amount of time to do anything.. It did get better after a few months though. So I know it's hard now but you'll get through it. My younger son just nurses every 3 hours for like 10 min.. I'm like wow- that is so much easier..

gracielynn87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM

I had the same problem. You said you a feeding from one side.. are you block feeding from that one side for 2,3, or 4 times in a row? That's what I had to do and then pump from the other very full side before baby goes to that breast.. Just hang in there and it should be easier.  

Quoting Faith-Hope-Love:

I am beyond EXHAUSTED.

Quoting drealu:

I am a Christian, conservative, natural birthing, tandem nursing, attachment parenting, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, no CIO, cloth diapering, laidback mom of 2 sweet boys and wife to the best man on earth.  *~Gracie~* 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)