Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TCC While Breastfeeding

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM
  • 4 Replies

I just had my third child in March. We plan to have one more. My husband wants them close together. He wanted to start trying when Rune was 6 months old. I told him I wanted to reach my weight loss goal and be more recovered. I am also breastfeeding. Rune will be a year March 23.

So I now feel physically ready. We are not using any birth control. I have had three periods since I had him so I cant use my "normal method" ovulation prediction, ect to ttc.

My question is, what is the best way to go about ttc while breastfeeding.

My other question is if I do become pregnant can I continue to breastfeed? I was planning on weaning him at a year but I really dont want too now.

Graphic Designing, Work at Home, Tattooed, Nerdy Mama of 3...

Read about it

Diapers & Design

"Ye have enemies? Good, good - that means ye've stood up for something, sometime in thy life..." - Elminster of Shadowdale.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mitty18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I just recently found out i was pregnant about six weeks. My DD is seven months old right now. I didn't use protection but aslo wasn't TTC it just happened lol.
Yea you can continue to BF even after you become pregnant. My doctor and my DD's doctor both encouraged me to do so. You just have to make sure you take are of yourself during this time. Eat extra to support both your BFing child and yourself as well as your unborn child. Get rest, and ETC. Good luck

WilliamsMama08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I used NFP after DS1 was born.  Had my first period at 7mo pp, and conceived just shy of him turning 1.  I only had 3 periods and got pregnant the first time we tried.  Start taking your temps and watch your CM... you are still having cycles.

I continued to nurse until DS1 was 15mo (3mo prego) when he weaned himself.  My milk dried up, but some women can nurse all the way through.

LRBsMommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I've never TTC while breastfeeding, but I have a friend who got pregnant 2 times while breastfeeding.  The first time, her periods were unreliable, but she still counted the days of her cycle to predict ovulation and she got pregnant immediately.  Then, while nursing that baby, she planned her 3rd child.  Her periods were normal then and it took her about 3 months to get pregnant.   As for nursing while pregnant, both times her milk dried up within a few months of her pregnancty and her kids were still nursing often.  I don't personally know anyone who successfully was able to nurse throughout pregnancy without the milk drying up, but I have heard women on cafemom doing it successfully.

pixieofchaos
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

THanks! I guess I will have to get the thermometer out. I am worried about my milk drying up, he is a determined nurser, wont take a bottle and hates the sippy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)