Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever just given up on a boob?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have one boob she just doesnt like to feed off and its to the point where ill pump 5oz out of one boob and 1/2 oz out of the other......what would happen if I just gave up trying on the other boob
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I would guess that the one boob would compensate and continue to meet your babies needs. You'll prob be a little lopsided. *I* personally would pump the other side with a manual pump(I love my medela manual) save it for "emergencies"

LKRA
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

This is something I read that sticks with me:

The baby prefers this breast because it makes more milk because the baby prefers it because it makes more milk because the baby prefers it because it makes more milk........

:)

If you encourage her to nurse on the breast that isn't producing, it will produce more.

DDTSMommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM
Yes, keep trying... more milk will come into supply as it is demanded.

Quoting LKRA:

This is something I read that sticks with me:

The baby prefers this breast because it makes more milk because the baby prefers it because it makes more milk because the baby prefers it because it makes more milk........

:)

If you encourage her to nurse on the breast that isn't producing, it will produce more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krysta622
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I nursed exclusively from one breast, for both of my children. 

Mrs.J.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Nothing bad would happen :)
I did the same thing. Now that he's 18 months, on the rare occasion that I do pump, I don't even pump my lesser side.

mamislittlelamb
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Could she have an ear infection or an injury during birth or something that causes her pain in that position? Sometimes I would fake my kids out I would start on the boob they liked in a cradle hold and then at some point switch to the other boob in a football hold so that they didn't have to switch positions and they never knew the difference. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeanniemom2boys
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

this happened w/my second. He would never nurse on the left side no matter how much i tried. eventually the left side stopped producing. though this was after painful engorgment and mastis on that side.

good luck hope it works out for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)