Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Help! *EDIT*

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM
  • 31 Replies

My youngest will be 3 on the 12th. She sleeps through the night which is great BUT I have so much trouble getting her to sleep. I nurse and nurse and nurse like crazy but she will not fall asleep and stay asleep until about 3 AM. I usually start nursing her to sleep around midnight. I know that's late but our schedules are all screwed up. She falls asleep about 15 minutes after nursing her but then she wakes up once I lay her down. So I pick her up and nurse her again. We do this until 3 AM. Finally she falls asleep and will sleep until 11 AM. Needless to say, I'm exhausted. Trying to get on a schedule but it's very hard being that my boyfriend doesn't come home until ten because of school and work. My 3 year old goes to bed on her own. Whenever she's tired she says goodnight and goes to lay down which is about midnight. My reason for posting is I need some help on starting a schedule or routine. Also, my 3 month old is a tummy sleeper so I was wondering if there is any toy that worked great with getting your kids to sleep. I was gonna get a mobile but what's the point if she won't see it? ANY help would be great! Sorry if this was jumbled.

*LET ME JUST ADD THAT WE ALL SHARE A ROOM RIGHT NOW. SO THEM GOING TO BED EARLIER REALLY ISN'T GONNA WORK. THERE ARE STILL THINGS THAT I NEED TO DO THAT REQUIRES THE LIGHTS ON. ALSO, WHEN MY BOYFRIEND GETS HOME, HE HAS HOMEWORK HE NEEDS TO DO.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I never found that a mobile helped with mine anyway. But when are you starting your nighttime routine? If you're waiting till dad comes home, I think you're waiting too long.I'd start the routine around 7PM. Your schedule and that of the kids cannot be related to the boyfriends' schedule, sorry.... things will change so he can deal with it in the meantime.

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM

We eat at 6:30 so 7 seems a little early. I usually wait up so he can see the girls and play with them a bit before they start to get ready for bed.

Quoting gdiamante:

I never found that a mobile helped with mine anyway. But when are you starting your nighttime routine? If you're waiting till dad comes home, I think you're waiting too long.I'd start the routine around 7PM. Your schedule and that of the kids cannot be related to the boyfriends' schedule, sorry.... things will change so he can deal with it in the meantime.

KatieHine
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Wow midnight is a bit late for young children to be going to sleep.  Our bed time here is 7pm.  You need to have a set routine every night.  Like you always do bath and then some quiet time and then read a story and then nurse and go down for the night.  Maybe see if you can keep her awake more often during the day so she will be more sleepy once bed time rolls around.  Some babies just need to suck.  My one month old sometimes needs a passy to go to sleep and stay asleep.  Soothies are suposed to be okay while nursing.  Good luck.

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM

7 seems too early though. We eat dinner at 6:30 most nights. I try so hard to keep the little one up during the day but she just gets so fussy I give in and let her sleep because I don't wanna carry her around all day. I really, really DO NOT want to introduce a pacifier. One less thing I need to worry about when it comes to weaning.

Quoting KatieHine:

Wow midnight is a bit late for young children to be going to sleep.  Our bed time here is 7pm.  You need to have a set routine every night.  Like you always do bath and then some quiet time and then read a story and then nurse and go down for the night.  Maybe see if you can keep her awake more often during the day so she will be more sleepy once bed time rolls around.  Some babies just need to suck.  My one month old sometimes needs a passy to go to sleep and stay asleep.  Soothies are suposed to be okay while nursing.  Good luck.

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:34 PM

BUMP!

mama02040608
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I have to second that she's up way too late for an infant.  Esp if she's not really napping too well during the day.  My DH also has crazy schedules as well, and when my kids were wee babies, he might not see them for days.  But the kids got the sleep they needed. 

Overtired babies and kids don't sleep well.  I would let her nap during the day as she will.  Some babies do 2 big naps, others a couple of shorter ones.  Start a bedtime routine, honestly no later than 8pm.  This is a case where the kids needs override the man's needs.  He can make a special effort to spend more time with them on his days off.  No infant should be going to bed for the night at 3am. 

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I'm going to have to agree thats just too late. My husband works long hours and is usually not home until around 10. I tried a time or to keeping them up until he got home but they just don't sleep well. So they eat supper around 5:30. We start baths at 7. We lotion and massage the babies afterwards and lotion my 2 year old. Then we do pajammas. I nurse the girls first and then my 2 year old. While I'm nursing I read them a book. After everyone has nursed and we've read our two books we brush teeth and get into bed. We sing a couple of songs, say prayers, and then it's time to sleep. They are in bed by 8:30 or 9 most nights!

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

She sleeps most of the day. I try to keep her up but she usually wins.

Quoting mama02040608:

I have to second that she's up way too late for an infant.  Esp if she's not really napping too well during the day.  My DH also has crazy schedules as well, and when my kids were wee babies, he might not see them for days.  But the kids got the sleep they needed. 

Overtired babies and kids don't sleep well.  I would let her nap during the day as she will.  Some babies do 2 big naps, others a couple of shorter ones.  Start a bedtime routine, honestly no later than 8pm.  This is a case where the kids needs override the man's needs.  He can make a special effort to spend more time with them on his days off.  No infant should be going to bed for the night at 3am. 

michelle2129
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Staying up late could be part of the problem why the baby doesn't stay asleep. Not enough sleep makes them even worse. I would try putting the baby down earlier, 8 or even 8:30. I have always been very strict on a schedule and my son is in bed by 8:10. My DH will also work late hours sometimes but I let him know that the baby will be in bed by the time he gets home, its to late for him to be up - and he agrees.

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Bump for edit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)