Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby cries after taking bottle out of her mouth

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM
  • 2 Replies

I have an eight week old.  WIthin the last week,  we finally got the hang of latching on.... YEAH!!!!!!  Before then,  I was pumping exclusively.  Circumstances caused me to put her at the breast again, and I am glad I did. 

I am still pumping and giving her a bottle of breastmilk twice a day or so.  Since she started feeding from the breast again,  I noticed that she started crying once I remove the bottle from her.  It is a sharp cry, and it only lasts for about 30 seconds or less.  I give her a three ounce bottle of BM with a slow flow nipple.   She doesn't do this when stops feeding on the breast; why would she act different when the bottle feeding is done?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
LeanneC
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Because nursing at the breast cues them that the feeding is done.   They suck for a few minutes until letdown, then get a large amount of foremilk during letdown... that flow slows as the hind milk starts to drip out and the fattier milk begins to cue babies brain that the feeding is nearly over.

This process is what teaches infants how to tell when they are full and stop when they are done.   Why do you think there is an obesity problem in this country and bottlefed babies are at such a higher risk for childhood obesity?   We overeat...  We associate that "stuffed" feeling with being full, when that's being over full.

That's one of the issues with bottles and bottle feeding, the flow and consistancy never change and baby never gets those cues.   This is why many many bottlefed babies are overfed, they just don't know they are full until they're already eaten too much.  

lholgate
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

My baby does that too. She gets over it quickly when she realizes she really isn't still hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)