Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to EBF now

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:37 PM
  • 13 Replies
So my son is two months old and for several reasons I have supplemented with fromula until now. How can I make more milk? As in techniques etc...
He only has maybe 2-3 bottles of formula a day now (2 oz ea). After reading on several posts here I've learned that nursing is the best way but here's my prob: he's hungry, he nurses on both sides and seems content but about 5-10 min after he's done he starts to become fussy again and will suck on his fists, etc, well if I latch him on again he gets really upset I'm assuming because there's nothing there anymore... So that's when I supplement with formula. What can I do if he's hungry and not getting enough bm at a time? Or is it too late now since he's 2 months, can I still produce more?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM
try pumping a lot! once he eats after 30 min/ an hr after pump.. itll make ur milk supply go up! also there is otc drugs@ walgreens or somewhere that will boost it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:57 PM

First off the mistake you made here is a common one! Newborns eat often and for long periods of time! It's how they get your supply up! Also breastmilk is digested faster and more completley then formula! They also cluster feed like that during a growth spurt again telling your body to produce more. For the future the only way to know if baby is getting enough is diapers. If baby is having 6-8 wet diapers a day they are getting enough. How content the baby is not accuarte!

Since he is getting so much formula you are going to have to do this slowly. I would reccomend getting an SNS(supplemental nursing system) instead of giving bottles. That way he gets formula and is getting enough but also stimulating your breast to produce. Oatmeal is also a good way to boost your supply! There are also herbs! Skin skin to another good way to up your supply!

Good luck! Others should have a better idea on how to help you get baby back to breast!!

Sandrat97
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:57 PM
Great thanks!
Mom_to_Skyler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Milk Tea has always worked wonders for me.  While actively donating, I pumped and extra 60 ounces a week while using it. 

Steep two bags in hot water until lukewarm then chug.  Unless you like the taste (which I never did).

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

And just so you know......wanting to constantly nurse can be normal too. It's called "cluster feeding."  My son did this about 6-8 weeks of age.  He would nurse, pop off, and then cry to nurse again.  I never supplemented (replaced) with formula.  He just got boob.  Unless you are certain that baby is losing weight then it's worth a shot to just give him ALL BOOB ALL THE TIME.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

When they're upset, you smile wider. They do this to increase supply. Be fearful of happy babies! They're up to something...

Seriously... start cutting the formula today. One ounce gone today. Two ounces tomorrow. And so on. Your body WILL respond... and the fussier baby is, the better it will respond.

maggiemom2000
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM

From kellymom.com

Weaning from formula supplements

Put baby to breast often

Aim for 10 breastfeeding sessons per day. If baby is not breastfeeding well, work with your lactation consultant.

Method for weaning from supplements

Do not drop supplements suddenly – this should be a gradual process.

1. Prepare: Talk to baby’s health care provider and get his/her input. Record supplement amounts for a few days to determine how much supplement baby is getting per day. Use expressed milk for supplements if available. If you don’t have enough expressed milk, add banked milk or formula.
  2. Days 1-3: Take the current supplement amount (#1) and reduce by 1 oz (30 mL). Note that you’re not reducing 1 oz at every feeding, but 1 oz over the entire day. Monitor baby’s wet & dirty diapers. If diaper count is good, then do not exceed this amount of supplement each day – keep putting baby back to the breast if he wants to eat more.
  3. Days 4-6: Take the current supplement amount (#2) and reduce by 1 oz (30 mL). Monitor baby’s wet & dirty diapers. If diaper count is good, then do not exceed this amount of supplement each day – keep putting baby back to the breast if he wants to eat more.
  4. Days 7-9: Take the current supplement amount (#3) and reduce by 1-2 oz (30-60 mL) – try 2 oz if things are going well. Monitor baby’s wet & dirty diapers. If diaper count is good, then do not exceed this amount of supplement each day – keep putting baby back to the breast if he wants to eat more.
  5. Continue the above method, slowly reducing the amount of supplement every 2-3 days as long as baby’s diaper count and weight gain indicate that he’s getting enough milk. Once you get to the point that the supplements are only expressed milk (no formula), then you can usually proceed at a faster pace--at this point you are making enough milk for baby and just need to transition baby to getting milk only at the breast (when not separated from mom).
  6. If baby’s weight gain or diaper count are borderline or inappropriate, then spend several more days at the same supplement level, or return to the previous supplement level and proceed at a slower pace.
  7. Monitor baby’s growth. Weigh baby at least once a week to ensure that he is gaining appropriately. Get another weight check a week after baby is completely back to the breast, to reassure yourself that things are going well. Keep in touch with baby’s health care provider throughout this process.

Mrs.J.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:46 PM

At 3 months your milk will start to regulate. If you want to exclusively breastfeed, stop giving bottles. It is normal for babies that age to want to nurse 24/7 :)
I know mine did. I had an over supply and he acted the exact same way.

That's all I wanted to say. Good luck Mama.

jocelynred
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM

also, if he is fussy shortly after nursing it may not be that he is hungry. sucking is a calming reflex. so he may suck his hands and cry because he is tired. or it could be gas. but my bet would be tired. my dd has never really been a comfort nurser. she used to take a paci. she sort of still takes one but not too much mostly chews on it. so you might just try rocking him (or bouncing, etc, whatever works) to sleep if you notice the crankies after a feeding.

Sandrat97
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Thanks all! I really appreciate the input, I have learned so much on this forum... I WILL succeed and we WILL EBF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)