Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bringing Home Baby "redemption" LOL

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

I used to watch all of the baby shows on TLC, and then stopped because, without fail, the show ended with something along the lines of "I tried to breastfeed, but. . . . . . " and proceeded to give one of the many excuses moms have for choosing formula instead.  Every time I watched, I wanted to shake these women and tell them to get themselves to a lactation consultant (most common complaints were painful nipples - as in bad latch  - and "not producing enough" despite only trying  like 3 times in 36 hours. . . . . ).  Maybe I was just unlucky enough to always catch these frustrating episodes - I don't know.  But they made me want to scream, so I stopped watching  LOL 

This afternoon while my kids were both miraculously napping at the same time, I put "bringing home baby" on for some background noise while I was doing other stuff.  The first episode started out promising - mom talked non stop about wanting to breastfeed, and how it was more difficult than she expected, but she was determined. . . . only to end with formula.  I don't know all the details, and she did certainly seem determined and had support from her family, so I kept my screaming to myself and even left the show on for another episode.  BUT THEN. . . . . the next show was about a mom who had no interest in nursing, but was willing to give it a shot because it was important to her husband.  I thought that surely this wasn't going to end well  in terms nursing.  Mom seemed too determined to hate it for me to think that she would keep it up.  An LC came by her house to help her out - assured her that nursing often was more important that trying to measure "how much" baby got in any one sitting, and helped her correct the latch problems that were making it so painful.  They did the "8 week later" interview to check in with the family, and mom was not only still nursing, but said she LOVED it  :)  She was thrilled that she had gotten help from the LC to help her get started, because she recognized that things would have been much different otherwise, and she was looking forward to nursing for at least a year. 

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mom_to_Skyler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I despise those shows for this reason.  I remember one show a Mom was pumping to relieve engorgement and DUMPING THE BREASTMILK DOWN THE DRAIN while she ff.

It's nice to see a happy ending!

chundley
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I was just thinking about that today when I watched it- that they always end up switching to formula.  I missed the one episode where they stuck it out apparently!

Mrs.J.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I only gave nursing a try with our first because it was so important to my husband. Due to my own ignorance, she was 100% formula fed two months later.
So kudos to that Mama! I'm so happy to hear that. I stopped watching those shows for that exact reason.

jocelynred
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:04 PM

darn i missed that one. it sounds like a good one. i wish this show had been on when i brought home my first baby. i was not really prepared for the craziness the first few days home. there is a Baby Story episode about a mom who is adopting from a surrogate and she talks all about the hormones she took to be able to lactate. and they show her nursing in the hospital! good for her! (on a side note to this one i happened to catch the episode a while ago and realized that her dr was the one that delivered my ds! he was the on call dr that night at my hospital. my dr was not on call that weekend.) the shows that make me crazy are the ones with the stay at home moms that choose not to bf. i would give anything to stay at home with my kids and bf on demand. and i know so many other mom's who would love to not have to pump at work.

goof231
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:07 PM
Its because these shows are sponsored by pampers and similac =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanya_marieh
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I only nursed the first because my hubby thought it was really important.  Low and behold I nursed her for 13 months.  Now my second one we are going strong still at 10 months.  I figure if I was going to do it I was going to stick it out.  Plus I didn't want to shell out the money for formula.

amayabrianna
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:44 PM

OMG thank you for posting this. I was watching that and I missed the part at the end where she said she was still nursing. I caught it when they were having the all girls lunch. LOL!!! I am so glad she continued to BF!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)