Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! Starting Solids....

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM
  • 6 Replies

My DS will be 7 months on the 26th of this month...I just started Rice cereal this day two and he is having weird bowel problems! He has always had a sensitive tummy with food that I eat, so funky looking poo's is normal for him but he is having like 3 or 4 bowel movements in a couple of hours! I am not sure if it is because of the food! He is sitting up unsupported, rolling over, grabbing for food...he also has been able to sleep through the night the past two nights...I don't know what to do! He eats the rice cereal around 6-7pm and the bowel movements start around 2pm...can anyone help???????

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Having new pooping patterns isn't surprising when you start changing up their diet, but rice cereal usually works the otehr way around - causing constipatiuon rather than "excessive" pooping.  Have you considered skipping the cereal and going straight to food?  You've got an idea already of foods that he's sensative to when YOU eat them, so stay away from those for awhile  :)

niki_hubbard
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM

i agree with above poster, cereal is just carbs and sodium. maybe try very liquidy purees, mixed with bm?

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Start solids can causes changes with their poo. I agree there is no reason to give him rice cereal. It's just empty sugar filled calories. I would skip the cereal all together and go to veggies and fruits!

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Yep with all the PP.  Neither of my kids EVER had rice cereal.  Mashed sweet potato with my first (at 7 months) and straight to table foods with my second (8 months-ish).

AVASMOMMY530
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I wanted to start with veggies but was afraid to...I don't know why, I guess just cause "they" tell you to start with Rice cereal...and with my daughter I did that and she was just fine! So, I will try carrots mixed with bm tonight and see now that goes! Thanks for the input!

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I did the same thing with my daughter - and for the same reason  :)  With my son I did a little more research and opted out of cereal.  Both my kids preferrerd chunkier foods, and really preferred being able to feed themselves to being spoonfed - so we did a lot of lightly mashed avocadoes, bananas, sweet potatoes. . . . things that were soft and not a choking hazard, but could be (messily) picked up by baby  LOL  It didn't take long for them to be able to gum an apple down to the core either - - don't let their toothless little grins fool you into thinking they can't chew!!  :)

Quoting AVASMOMMY530:

I wanted to start with veggies but was afraid to...I don't know why, I guess just cause "they" tell you to start with Rice cereal...and with my daughter I did that and she was just fine! So, I will try carrots mixed with bm tonight and see now that goes! Thanks for the input!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)