Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nurse-In this Saturday at one of the Smithsonian Museums in DC

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM
  • 19 Replies

I can't figure out how to link a story to save my life...LOL...but there is a nurse-in scheduled for this Saturday at 10 am at the Hirshorn Museum in DC.  Two different security guards tried to make a woman nurse her child in the bathroom at the museum recently.  After finding nothing other than the toilet to sit on in the bathroom (which, one of the guards told her she should have used), she proceeded to sit back on the bench in the museum and nurse her 11 month old.  The museum has already issued an official formal apology, but the nurse in is set to go on as planned.  The organizers want to raise breastfeeding awareness.  I so wish I could go!!!  Just thought I would share for anyone that is local.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
afjenn480
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I'm not local, but I wish I was...never been part of a nurse-in.

CafeMom Tickers
llove12
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:23 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaoftwins9197
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I have a couple friends that are going. I totally would except I have to take my kids to see their dad.

Quoting afjenn480:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Mistii
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I would never be a part of a nurse in, it's kinda like a child being defiant.

Mrs.J.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:26 PM

If I were in DC, I would so be there! I've wanted to go to a nurse-in since he was born, and he's 18 months now. So I don't think I'll ever get to participate.

lundaylove
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM

thats crazy. i used to nurse in those museums all the time when we lived in MD, we'd go into DC almost every weekend. if i were still nursing and lived near there id go.

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM

It's *exactly* like a child being defiant.  There is nothing wrong with a child refusing to comply because the request is out-of-line.  As is asking a nursing mother to relocate to the restroom.

I don't know about you but if my child was told to go to a bathroom to eat then I would hope my child would say NO.  In the most "defiant" terms available to him/her.

Quoting Mistii:

tangerine11
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM
So anyone that stands up for their rights is just being a defiant child? Right....

Quoting Mistii:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mistii
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM

This will not turn into a stupid battle like it always does when someone is the odd person out, so this is the last thing I'll say here.....It is what it is. I have a right to my opinion and you're giving me a hard time...kinda the same thing don't you think?

Laceymom08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Quoting afjenn480:

same
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)