Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freezing questions

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM
  • 4 Replies

Im pregnant with twins and am hoping to breastfeed them for at least a year. I lasted for about 10 months with my son but it was hard to pump in college discreetly so i dried up sooner. Im not going to work (or at least not planning to) but I never froze milk before, I don't know why. I think I jsut didn't know anything about it nor had anyone to talk to when I did. I had my son at 19 and breastfeeding with people who I did know that had kids was pretty limited. Most just bottle bed.

How long can you freeze milk for? How long does it take to thaw out? Any tips or problems?

Thanks in advance :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
afjenn480
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I use breastmilk storage bags, but you can use glass or plastic too. If you store it in a regular freezer it will last at least a couple of months, but if you have a stand alone/deep freezer I think it will be good for 6 or 7mos...maybe longer. When I thaw my milk I stick it in the fridge, but that usually takes a couple of days so you can also put it in warm water. I think the only problem I had was find a hole in the bag! But that only happened a few times & I think the bags I was using have been improved. Hope that helps! =)

CafeMom Tickers
afjenn480
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM

*finding

mama02040608
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Kellymom has a chart, but basically, around 3-6 months in a freezer part of your fridge, 6-12 ina deep freeze, fresh pumped up to a week in the fridge.  Freeze a small portion and then thaw it to see if you have a lipase issue.  It's an enzyme in milk that can cause it to semll off but does not mean that the milk is bad.  Some babies will refuse thawed milk with excess lipase.  You can scald the milk if this is the case (bring it to a simmer and then shut off the heat), let it cool and then freeze it.  Freeze in smaller portions of 2oz or so. 

lholgate
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Quoting afjenn480:

I use breastmilk storage bags, but you can use glass or plastic too. If you store it in a regular freezer it will last at least a couple of months, but if you have a stand alone/deep freezer I think it will be good for 6 or 7mos...maybe longer. When I thaw my milk I stick it in the fridge, but that usually takes a couple of days so you can also put it in warm water. I think the only problem I had was find a hole in the bag! But that only happened a few times & I think the bags I was using have been improved. Hope that helps! =)

I thaw mine in a gravy boat in case there's a hole in the bag. If I need it to thaw faster, I put some hot water in my sink, and then put my gravy boat in the water. No pun intended. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)