Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help before getting surgery!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM
  • 15 Replies
Next monday I will be going in for a hernia repair surgery. It isn't a major surgery, but I will be under general anesthesia, and will be sent home with pain medication.

My question is- when will I be safe to feed my baby? The hospital told me I will have to pump and dump for the first 24 hours after surgery, and I won't be able to feed while on the paon meds. I know that a lot of the time doctors and nurses don't really know what they are talking about when it comes to breastfeeding, so I would like the facts from you ladies.

I appreciate the help. I need this surgery, but I don't want it to destroy my breastfeeding relationship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:45 PM
depends on the type of pain medicine i guess but im no expert! i know ur not suppose to take loratabs and nurse but i KNOW FOR A FACT percocets are ok! tons of woman get them if they have c sections or are real sore from birth so i would ask them if they could give you those because u know those are safe to take' i agree wit the first 24 hrs pump & dump because of the med they use during surgery! good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lholgate
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Have them give you a different pain med. I had medication after a csection and was perfectly fine breast feeding. I am allergic to tylenol, and they not only had to find something I wasn't allergic to, but something I could breastfeed with. If they can do that for me, then they should be able to hook you up with something. I've also read other people here that asked about surgery, and they were told that you can nurse right after. Maybe you can find out what they are giving you and look it up on lactmed, and see if you can speak with your anesthesiologist to find out if they can work with you.

mama02040608
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM

No.  YOu can BF as soon as you are home and/or awake (not sure if you're going to be in the hospital or going home right after).  Most pain meds are fine with BF...moms have c/s every day.  They get pain meds :)  Best bet: Advil or Motrin around the clock with whatever narcotic chaser for breakthrough pain.  That was baby gets the least amount of painmeds, but you aren;t miserable. 

mama02040608
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:58 PM

They use the same meds to induce anesthesia whether you are having a c/s or a hernia repair.  No pumping and dumping for general anesthesia. 

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

depends on the type of pain medicine i guess but im no expert! i know ur not suppose to take loratabs and nurse but i KNOW FOR A FACT percocets are ok! tons of woman get them if they have c sections or are real sore from birth so i would ask them if they could give you those because u know those are safe to take' i agree wit the first 24 hrs pump & dump because of the med they use during surgery! good luck

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

It also depends on the age of your nursling.....

lilahsmommie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:06 PM

You should be able to feed as soon as you are ok to hold the baby. You will likely be sent home on Hydrocodone which is safe for BFing This is Vicodin/norco/lortab. Percoset is also considered safe. There is no need to pump and dump. kellymom has a list of safe pain meds. Hyrocodone and percoset are common meds to be sent home on after birth/c section and are safe. You can mention it to the anesthesiologist before surgery, but versed is the most common thing they use, and it too is ok.

lholgate
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Oh and if anyone hasn't mentioned it, if your tummy is going to be sore, you will want to use the football hold to nurse for a while.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM

The answer depends on how long it takes for you to be safe to hold the baby. General anesthesia is gone when you wake. Painkillers? Tell them to give you what they give c-sec moms... but if they're sending you home with the med, it won't be unsafe.

jessie82087
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:30 PM
He is 5 months old.

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

It also depends on the age of your nursling.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM

OK. Lortab. percocet and vicodin are all fine and very likely youll be given something along those lines. They're only a worry if they tend to knock you out, because then you wouldn't be safe to handle baby/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)