Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

supply drop since pumping. Help!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:23 PM
  • 10 Replies
i went back to work this week and my supply has dropped since pumping. The more i pump the less i get. how do i turn this around?! tonight when i got home to my baby i could tell she didnt get enuf milk from nursing bc she was not satisfied after eating :( im drinking tons of water and mothers milk tea. how do i keep my supply up while pumping?

giving mom gift

~Kristina

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommawhite08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM

eat oatmeal, there are other supplements you can take (I never used them so I'll let someone else comment on them) and nurse on demand when ever you are with baby, just keep switching sides as long as she'll nurse. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Output doesn't mean supply is dropping, how much is baby taking in how many hours, babies often act starved after nursing from the breast if they are given too big bottles and their tummy is used to larger amounts...do you follow the 1-1.25 oz an hour rule for bottles.

How much are you pumping each time how often?

gracielynn87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM

BUMP!

gumbeme06
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM

don't measure your supply on how much you're able to pump, some women don't respond well to pumping... make sure your little ones wet diaper count is where it should be... good luck :)

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:22 PM

She';s never supposed to act satisfied. NEVER look for satisfied. It's an impossible and FALSE marker; don't expect it.

How many dipes are you changing? All that matters. 6 dipes changed means baby is getting plenty.

Normal pump output is two ounces TOPS. Baby should be getting only 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour she's away from you... no more and less is actually FINE.

So... knowing all this... how are you REALLY doing? Most moms who think they have a supply problem only have a perception problem.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM

How frequently are you able to pump at work? How much are you getting at a pumping session?

KRob85
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 4:05 AM
i had no idea about most of this! she was eating 4 oz bottles every 3 hrs i was pumping every 2 hrs at work. first pump was 5 oz the rest were close to 2 oz. From the advice sounds like we are doing ok
TTC2Long
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 4:13 AM
Remember that she gets more milk faster from a bottle than from you, so she fills up faster and (it sounds like) probably overeats. Like when we eat too much too fast and feel stuffed later. It takes the brain 20 mins to register "full." So have the caretaker follow the 1-1.25 rule other mentioned above. You're right - sounds like you're doing great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:17 AM
And make the bottles a bit smaller...no more than 3.5 oz per 4 hours. Smaller, more frequent is a better plan. Also slowest flow nipples you can find. Baby might be freaking out b/c you don't flow like the bottle as well.

Quoting KRob85:

i had no idea about most of this! she was eating 4 oz bottles every 3 hrs i was pumping every 2 hrs at work. first pump was 5 oz the rest were close to 2 oz. From the advice sounds like we are doing ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM

I give my 15 mo old a 1-2oz bottle every 1-2 hrs (she is a frequent nurser so i try to mimic it with the bottle feeding) when she is bottle fed(once in a blue moon). Always use a newborn nipple. Sounds like your doing okay. I would drop the size of the bottles down a little she could be stretching her tummy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)