Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving birth on Monday, and I'm getting nervous.

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi!  I am new here and I am having a scheduled c-section on Monday, and now I'm thinking of a million bf questions.  lol

My first son was a 27 week preemie, and we never could get the breastfeeding down.  I pumped with a hospital grade pump for 6 months until my supply gave out.  Now I will be having a full termer and I am excited to try to bf again, hopefully with a bit more success.

Here are three questions I have for now:

I have been getting shooting pains in my left nipple for the last several days or so.  On one side of the nipple where the pain is centralized, is a little lump that is red and swollen.  Does anyone know what this might be?  Could it be a clogged duct already?  Do you think it's easily taken care of?  Any suggestions for this at all?

Is there anything I can/should do to "prime the pump"?  Some people say toughen the nipples, some say use nipple cream until baby is born.  What say you?

I will be a sahm for awhile, and I plan to EBF as much as possible.  I would, however, like to pump for when I might want a girls night out or if my husband wants to do a night feeding and let me sleep.  (Hey!  It could happen!  lol)  Should I start pumping immediately, or get a good supply established through EBF first?  When is the best time to pump - right after feeding?

Thanks so much for any input on these issues. I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge from you ladies and then being able to share once I've become experienced myself.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
piwife
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Quoting JudesMomma:

Hi!  I am new here and I am having a scheduled c-section on Monday, and now I'm thinking of a million bf questions.  lol

My first son was a 27 week preemie, and we never could get the breastfeeding down.  I pumped with a hospital grade pump for 6 months until my supply gave out.  Now I will be having a full termer and I am excited to try to bf again, hopefully with a bit more success.

I have been getting shooting pains in my left nipple for the last several days or so.  On one side of the nipple where the pain is centralized, is a little lump that is red and swollen.  Does anyone know what this might be?  Could it be a clogged duct already?  Do you think it's easily taken care of?  Any suggestions for this at all?

i dont think is a clogged duct, maybe and infected sabecaous gland.

Is there anything I can/should do to "prime the pump"?  Some people say toughen the nipples, some say use nipple cream until baby is born.  What say you? leave the nipples alone

I will be a sahm for awhile, and I plan to EBF as much as possible.  I would, however, like to pump for when I might want a girls night out or if my husband wants to do a night feeding and let me sleep.  (Hey!  It could happen!  lol)  Should I start pumping immediately, or get a good supply established through EBF first?  When is the best time to pump - right after feeding?  i suggest no bottles for the first 6 wks or until bf has been established, the best way yo get supply is to nurse. thats it put baby on the breast on demand/ best time to pump is in the mornings and between feedings

Thanks so much for any input on these issues. I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge from you ladies and then being able to share once I've become experienced myself.

i am a sahm and not loving it that much, prolife,progay marriage, immigration supported, gun supporter, feed your baby what you want, erf,spanking non cio, co-sleeping, photography lover kinda of mom in love with a u.s marine.
JHjelle827
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM
Best time to pump is in the am or if your engorged and baby is sleeping just pump enough to relieve engorgement. Nurse on demand. Nipple cream nipple creamonce your baby gets to 6 Ishmael months dad could do a night feeding but in the first few months you'll not want to miss a night feed cause if he feeds you'll need to pump anyways or end up with bad engorgement. Good latch which should only hurt a lil upon latching in the beginning not for the whole feeding. Get baby to breast as soon as possible after birth.
gracielynn87
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Quoting JudesMomma:

My first son was a 27 week preemie, and we never could get the breastfeeding down.  I pumped with a hospital grade pump for 6 months until my supply gave out.  Now I will be having a full termer and I am excited to try to bf again, hopefully with a bit more success. I bet it will be easier this time around :)

I have been getting shooting pains in my left nipple for the last several days or so.  On one side of the nipple where the pain is centralized, is a little lump that is red and swollen.  Does anyone know what this might be?  Could it be a clogged duct already?  Do you think it's easily taken care of?  Any suggestions for this at all? Not sure with this one sorry.

Is there anything I can/should do to "prime the pump"?  Some people say toughen the nipples, some say use nipple cream until baby is born.  What say you? No need to do any of that.

I will be a sahm for awhile, and I plan to EBF as much as possible.  I would, however, like to pump for when I might want a girls night out or if my husband wants to do a night feeding and let me sleep.  (Hey!  It could happen!  lol)  Should I start pumping immediately, or get a good supply established through EBF first?  When is the best time to pump - right after feeding? Best thing to do to get your milk to come in is to put baby to breast asap after birth and keep putting baby to breast as much as you can. No need to pump if you just keep offering baby to breast. If you are having a planned c-section though- will you be able to have baby with you immediatly after birth? Try not to offer a bottle until after 6 weeks (nipple confusion can occur).

Thanks so much for any input on these issues. I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge from you ladies and then being able to share once I've become experienced myself. Congrats. CM is a great place to get info.. also I would get the book by the Le Leche League .." The womanly art of breastfeeding" it's great. I would read up on how to get a proper latch ahead of time so you already will be prepared. And remember- breastfeeding should never be painful if you have a proper latch.

I am a Christian, conservative, natural birthing, tandem nursing, attachment parenting, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, no CIO, cloth diapering, laidback mom of 2 sweet boys.  *~Gracie~* 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

JudesMomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.  I was relieved when I toured our L&D dept that they encourage breastfeeding and will bring my son in to feed as soon as I get to recovery.  I know that will help a lot. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Quoting JudesMomma:

Massage and warm compress. Yes, it's a clog.

Is there anything I can/should do to "prime the pump"?  Some people say toughen the nipples, some say use nipple cream until baby is born.  What say you?

Nothing. The onlyt thing you prime pre-birth is your brain... get to the booskstore for a copy of So That's What They're For and read it through before Monday. Preferably you spend three times as much time learning about feeding as you do on ANY other baby prep... it's the only prep that's actually important.

I will be a sahm for awhile, and I plan to EBF as much as possible.  I would, however, like to pump for when I might want a girls night out or if my husband wants to do a night feeding and let me sleep.  (Hey!  It could happen!  lol)  Should I start pumping immediately, or get a good supply established through EBF first?  When is the best time to pump - right after feeding?

Pumnp whenever. Honest, doesn't matter. AM gets best output. But if dad feeds when you are there you MUST get up to pump then., So it won't save you for sleeping. Sorry, nothing saves you for that.

JMmama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM
I started pumping immediately after my milk came in. I pumped to relieve engorgement, pumped in the morning, pumped after feeding. Also, once we got our routine down, I realized that baby wanted to nurse only one side each feeding, so I would pump the other side. Ibwas able to build up a good store and my middle kid (Mia) was able to have some too.

Congratulations, btw. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Quoting JudesMomma:

I have been getting shooting pains in my left nipple for the last several days or so.  On one side of the nipple where the pain is centralized, is a little lump that is red and swollen.  Does anyone know what this might be?  Could it be a clogged duct already?  Do you think it's easily taken care of?  Any suggestions for this at all?massage in circles towards the nipple it could be a clogged duct or it could be your body just getting ready my nipples do wierd things close to time

Is there anything I can/should do to "prime the pump"?  Some people say toughen the nipples, some say use nipple cream until baby is born.  What say you?NOTHING do NOTHING

I will be a sahm for awhile, and I plan to EBF as much as possible.  I would, however, like to pump for when I might want a girls night out or if my husband wants to do a night feeding and let me sleep.  (Hey!  It could happen!  lol)  Should I start pumping immediately, or get a good supply established through EBF first?  When is the best time to pump - right after feeding?pump first thing in the morning on one side as baby nurses the other, best time to pump..doesn't matter when you start really, it won't HURT supply

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)