Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going back to work! Getting nervous :/

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM
  • 9 Replies
So I just recently got a job. Orientation is Friday & my first day is Saturday night. I'm feeling a whole bunch of anxiety about it. Most if which I can't express because I'm in a anti-breastfeeding home. I don't have a lot of people who are supportive. Especially the whole 'WIC will pay for formula If you run out of milk'... I am trying to go for a year AT LEAST!

The job is a photographer for a cruise. Right now I only will be working (I'm assuming) 4-6 hrs tops. All if my electric pumps have malfunctioned recently(stupid medela)... I'm working with this cheap manual one I got when I gave birth ( I swear I'm going to have athritis soon -.- )

Anywho, I looked up Virginia state bf'ing laws... It says I'm entitled to unpaid break time to pump or feed. Yet the company said without working more than 8hrs we get no breaks. I don't know how to approach the subject without losing the job. I figure I stay quiet as long as I can until the hrs increase... I think I could pump on my wayto and from. I don't want that to attract my supply though... Ugh I'm scared. Plus I font know how I will handle being away from her :/ this is harder than I thought.
Any advice ladies ? Thanks in advanced, sorry for writing so much.
Engaged to fiance Ricky *339x3am.
Leilani Rae - Sept. 30th '10 6:46pm 7lbs 7oz 21in
We have prince Riley Rene in heaven, RiP baby boy x3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:41 AM

If you lose the job for broaching the subject, you get to haul them before the labor board. And NEVER assume a damned thing... you need to get everything LAID OUT IN WRITING. Or don't go to the job. Seriously.

kemmerer411
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM
I agree with PP... but fyi if worst comes to worst pump a min or two during bathroom breaks. Any amount of pumping is better than nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:04 AM

BTW besides the Virginia laws theres a new federal law saying they must give you pumping time and a place besides the toilet.

Call Medela about your pump, they have great customer service.

If you get WIC tell them you are pumping and need a pump they should atleats loan you an electric one.

Pump first thing in the AM, just make sure the same amount of milk is pumped that she uses in 24 hours.  SO if you pump first thing in the AM and get 4 oz then she takes 4 oz while you work you are just fine and no issues with supply, if you only pump 4 oz and she takes 6oz in the 6 hours then sometime in that day you need to pump another 2oz..baby should never take more in a day than you can pump.

TifaniRLB
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:34 AM
Thanks ladies :)
chrissysnow22
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM
I work approx 6hrs a day. So I feed him right before leaving then pump in the middle of the day it usually only takes 10-15mins for me and then I feed him as soon as I get off and EBF any other time and my supply hasn't decreased. GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TifaniRLB
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I work approx 6hrs a day. So I feed him right before leaving then pump in the middle of the day it usually only takes 10-15mins for me and then I feed him as soon as I get off and EBF any other time and my supply hasn't decreased. GL

thanks that what i was going to try & do !

Engaged to fiance Ricky *339x3am.
Leilani Rae - Sept. 30th '10 6:46pm 7lbs 7oz 21in
We have prince Riley Rene in heaven, RiP baby boy x3
TifaniRLB
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM

BUMP!

Tea4Tas
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I used to pump at home as well-on the side the baby wasn't feeding from. Worked like a charm, and I always had an ample supply.

TifaniRLB
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:05 PM
Ty yeah I have a supply but I want to keep it that way invade of emergency
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)